What is this thing called ??
Hello, we have a 1971 mach 1 351c

Please look at red circel in the image.

We want to know what this panel is called, it's situated behind the fuel tank.

It's rusted, so needs welding...but if we can order it online, it would be nicer.

Regards,
Rob

[Image: 360.jpg]
Hello,

In the earlier Mustangs the area you circled in Red is called the transition panel. But for the 71 and later Mustangs they call it the trunk floor.  I am not sure if they sell a patch panel for that area but they sell the complete trunk floor.   Depending on how bad the rust is you may be able to cut out the bad and make a patch yourself.  Here is a link I found online.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/dynacorn-com...lwQAvD_BwE

Mike
That's actually a drop mount for the gas tank straps (not sure of the proper terminology, though).

Mine was rusted to death - Ohio Mustang had some on-hand from parts cars and provided one for a ridiculously awesome price.  No - they are not remanufactured.

Mine is on top

The 'new one' after 'blasting and punching holes for plug welding - the slots align toward the rear of the car (for the straps to slide into)

All back together after shooting some undercoating

The front of the tank rests against it, and the straps are adjusted from the rear

Hope that helps!
Nice job Eric. Is there a piece of sheetmetal on your car you didn't replace? I guess you'd call that the front tank mount / support? Or something like that.

JTS
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the clarification.  Geez, I was just telling my wife about needing a stronger eye prescription so I guess it's time to make an appointment with an eye doctor!  It is unfortunate that piece in not re-popped.  Do you know if the after market trunk floor has that hangar on the underside? 

Mike
Thank you guys,

This was good info.

So I think we have to get it off and repair it, or something like that.

Have a good day all
Rob (the Netherlands)
(06-30-2018, 02:11 PM)JTS71 Mach1 Wrote: Nice job Eric. Is there a piece of sheetmetal on your car you didn't replace? I guess you'd call that the front tank mount / support? Or something like that.

JTS

There were a few... the hood, doors, roof, and upper quarters, actually. ;)  

The trunk was a disaster.  I wound up replacing the trunk pan, drop-offs, rear cross member taillight panel, trunk lid, passenger side end cap, quarters and outer wheel houses (both sides).

Here's the trunk in all its glory.  I literally bashed the panel a couple of times from the underside, and removed most of the panel without cutting a single piece of anything.  The chain was a redneck-engineered repair to keep the gas tank from falling out of the car.

Oddly enough, even the shock pockets and intermediate panel needed to be replaced as well.  Since they're not reproduced (yet), I took the advice of a friend and sectioned a repop '69-'70 shock cross member to replace the wallowed out upper shock mounts (because of the the bashing they took from the air shocks I removed).

I had to section it because it was about 2" narrower than the '71-'73 unit, but otherwise a much stouter piece.

Then, I took the 'redneck gas tank hammock' and used it to brace the rear frame rails while I replaced the rear cross member.

Be advised there are also 2 different sizes of trunk pans.  I wound up with the 'short' one, so I had to fab a panel to bridge the final gap to the intermediate panel, but I'm putting a sub woofer box over it in that spot anyway, so I really didn't care if I had the right one or not.

Then I replaced the end cap from a piece cut from a junk yard car, replaced the taillight panel, then fabbed up a small bit for the trunk weatherstripping channel that the 'yard dawgs cut short with the 'new' end cap.

I wanted to make sure I had some kind of structural rigidity so the whole back end of the car didn't just collapse in on itself.  I've seen other guys repair all of this stuff while pulling the quarters at the same time with no bracing at all.  I guess I was just being a little paranoid, but I didn't want to risk having everything not line up when I put it all back together.  Seems to have worked out, though.

After that, I pulled the quarters and repaired the wheel houses and drop off panels.  But, I won't hijack the thread any further with that. ;)

(06-30-2018, 08:53 PM)Mustangmike Wrote: Hi Eric,

Thanks for the clarification.  Geez, I was just telling my wife about needing a stronger eye prescription so I guess it's time to make an appointment with an eye doctor!  It is unfortunate that piece in not re-popped.  Do you know if the after market trunk floor has that hangar on the underside? 

Mike

Actually, I had to weld that piece onto the new aftermarket trunk floor - the repop panels do not come with them.  Fortunately, the shape is quite simple - no weird tapers or corners, so a guy could make a new one from a piece of flat sheet metal relatively easy (which is what I was planning to do if OMS hadn't had one).  I don't remember how I got it back into place, since I didn't have any measurements.  I'm sure it involved putting the tank up there and test-fitting the piece with some 'eyeball' measurements.  I would definitely recommend making a sketch and taking measurements before tearing it all apart if possible. ;)
Eric, It looks like they pulled the car from the bottom of the ocean!  All kidding aside you did an excellent job with the metal work.  Most people would have walked away!
I was too far into it at that point - I'd just finished repairing the cowl after literally cutting the car in half to replace the whole front clip.  

I'm thinking you weren't too far off with your theory about being parked in the ocean - the military bumper sticker said "Sheppard AFB, TX," which is in Wichita Falls, right next to the Red River... and the DSO Code was Lansing, Michigan, which means it most likely spent some hard winters in the apex of The Rust Belt before a military member transferred to Texas (there was a base in/near Lansing back in those days, after all).  I'm thinking the winter driving (with salted roads) started the process, then parking it sometime in 1980 left to rot just kind of let things keep on cooking all that time until the 'wannabe muscle car flipper' picked it up and tried to make bank on this rusty ol' turd.  Fortunately, I talked him down to a more reasonable price for what was left of it.  I definitely had the Mach 1 Goggles on when I looked it over - my pal Jim tried to talk me out of getting it, but I was not to be dissuaded... and later as the nay-sayers gathered, it was more determination to make them eat their words that got me through than anything.  I'm happy I stuck with it... but I'll never take on something like that again, that's for sure.
FAR OUT!!