Major Winter projects
Ok well I decided to pull the trigger and just get a loan to pay for all the upgrades I’ll be doing starting in the next 2 weeks. Figured I may as well get everything now vs piece by piece. And since I quit smoking (cigarettes), that’s how I justified a car payment again. Lol. It’s crazy what I was spending each month on smokes when I did a little math. Ugh… 

So currently I have 3.00 gears and a c4 auto. Yuk.. so I have priced out a 5 speed conversion from Modern Driveline and am doing 3.73 gears and rear disc brake conversion while I’m at it. I’ll make sure to take lots of pics along the way too. And I’m not looking to make this some ridiculous track car, just fun as hell to drive. I’ll be buried in the damn thing too so it’ll never be sold, May as well make it what I want now. Hoping to see somewhere north of 450 hp.

I know I definitely don’t want a 1 wheel peeler anymore too...so would I be best to get a whole new 3rd member all assembled? Or just rebuild my current 3rd member? I do have access to a press and can do the work but was thinking to just get one that I could just drop in and be done with it.. I was thinking either Yukon or Curry but haven’t chose which one yet. 

After the new gears, disc brakes and 5 speed are done I’ll be moving forward towards the motor. Been doing a lot of reading on heads and decided on a set of TrickFlo. They seemed to have made a head that is the best of the 2v and 4v heads combined and appear pretty bulletproof. Currently I have 2v heads. Long tube headers will be put on too, thinking Hooker but haven’t decided 100% yet. If someone has a better choice, I’m all ears. I’ve already switched over to MSD electronic ignition and electric fuel pump and a new edelbrock 650 carb so a new cam is all that is left to do up front, unless I find something bad when I pull the heads and oil pan and inspect the block. Not looking for anything too wild, just something with a little more grunt. But if I find something I don’t like, I’ll be doing the block and rotating assembly as well. Don’t wanna pull the motor twice.

Also picked up a new AC/heat unit from classic auto air too. Pretty excited to have functioning heat and now AC! And this thing looks very straightforward to install. And now the fiancé won’t bitch about sweating in the summer. Lol. And while I have the motor out I’m definitely replacing the whole wiring harness too. Unfortunately the only one that seems I like is from Painless. Wish someone would make one specifically for 71-73 but it hasn’t happened yet. 

So for now my main questions are at the rear... Any suggestions or advice on making this go smoothly would be greatly appreciated. Especially when it comes to the 5 speed conversion. I’m sure a few guys have done it here. Can’t wait to drive this thing in the spring. It’ll be a completely different driving experience.
Well if it was me I'd buy the whole chunk, with 3.73 and Posi already assembled, and ready to go. I know there are kits etc, etc, etc.
But what have you really got? While setting up a nine inch isn't all that hard. If it goes wrong, who do you have to blame, the man in the mirror. If you bought one ready to go you have some recourse, a pain in the arse, but still recourse. I'd also weigh the cost of the full rebuild kit, gear set, and a posi unit, against a ready to go one. That could also be a deciding factor. As far as brand, I would go with a reputable one Curry, Rockwell, Eaton, Yukon gear, All of these companies have been around for years, and My train of thought is to usually shoot for the middle range. Not the best they make, and not the worst, somewhere in the middle. That's where I usually get the best results. I have personally used Yukon gears, when my 08 Mustang chewed up a bearing and all was good. A 9 inch is the toughest rear end on the planet. Get a good one, and forget it. They also make tons of disc brake kits, to fit the 9 inch as well.
    I agree that Hookers will be your best bet, as far as headers as I had a set years ago on my 71 Mach1. They cleared everything by a solid 1/2 inch or better and it's awful tight getting around the frame mounted power steering box on a 71 Mach1. Next issue will be the clutch, linkage/cable/hydraulic. As the original setup used a z bar, to actuate the clutch. Which the headers will clear if bought for a stick. A hydraulic would be nice except you have to adapt a 3rd pedal, and the slave cylinder. A cable is simple but sometimes hard to keep the cable off the headers, and still get a good angle to the bellhousing. Choices, Choices, Choices.  Just be sure to tell whoever you get it from, all the different pieces involved and adjust accordingly, as this may work with that, but not with this scenario. Will definitely bite you in the AZZ!

Compression is the key to hp. I'd shoot for 10.5, and a cam to match. Comp has a tech department that's second to none and if you give them all the specs they ask for, you should get a great cam.  And a monster! Mine was north of 500 hp back in 79"

Sounds like it's gonna be a long Winter, and an Exciting Spring! Go for it Shoot for the stars, and hang on, it'll be a hairy ride. And remember You never lose, until you quit Trying!

Good Luck,  

JTS
Might be worth getting in touch with Alan here,

https://8and9inchfordrears.com/

he built me a 3.50 trac lok in a dated  case for my 70 and shipped it to the UK for less than I could get my own unit built to the same standard here.
I fitted it a few weeks ago and have done 200 miles so far and have had no problems so far.