Power Steering
I am in the process if reinstalling power steering on my 1969 Mach 1, 351W, 4sp car with factory clutch linkage. I have JBA short headers. They fit fine. But, the collector location on the drivers side causes issues. To connect exhaust to it, either the factory power steering or the clutch linkage had to go. All three would not fit in that space. An aftermarket power steering cylinder drop bracket wouldn't even help. You know, the bracket that adds so much leverage at the frame it eventually peels the frame open like a can opener. If anybody is using one, wait for it to happen, because it will, guaranteed. Anyway, I needed clutch linkage, so at the time the steering was converted to manual.

With that said I am now looking at either a Borgeson or Classic Performance Parts power steering box conversion. The dilemma is Borgeson's box is large, a Toyota box reworked to fit Mustangs, has an inherent no return to center issue, but they have excellent customer service and tech support. The CPP box is a new design, smaller and similar in shape to the original, but CPP has the worse customer service and tech support and have ever come across. Both require the same factory clutch linkage mods and in some cases shorting the steering column.

Question: Has anybody had any experience with the CPP or Borgeson power steering box in these Mustangs? I am having a tough time picking a path to go down with this one. Any input is helpful.

Regards,
Mike
Sorry - I do not have any experience with either company.

Have you considered swapping the clutch linkage for either a cable or hydraulic setup? With the space given up you could return to the factory power steering.
Actually I have and that is still on the table. The cost is about the same as installing a conversion power steering box. I have rebuilt the original power steering control valve, pump and resealed the hydraulic cylinder. A few concerns I have using the original power steering is (1) the rebuilt control valve had some rust pitting inside, so it still might need replacing. (2) The original system had a lot of potential places for leaks. Lastly, (3) even when working correctly the original system teneded to be plagued with a loose feel in the steering wheel and would wander a little.

But, I am still considering a hydraulic clutch setup because it might require the least amount of modifications to the car. Systems from modern driveline look like only a few new bolt holes to mount the clutch master cylinder are needed. At the transmission, they offer an internal slave cylinder throwout bearing assembly.

Regards,
Mike
Well, I contacted Modern Driveline about a hydraulic clutch setup. sounded like a viable option. They are very helpful. The only drawback is I need to also buy a new diaphragm type clutch and pressure plate setup to be compatible with their system. From the description I was given, the clutch assembly seems to be made specifically for their hydraulic clutch linkage. The cost . . . $485 for the clutch, pressure plate, and pilot bearing kit. total cost is $1095.50 to convert to a hydraulic clutch.

We see this time and time again, why can't stuff be designed to work with original type components? Back to researching a solution to this issue.

Regards,
Mike
I have to agree with your frustration.

And it all cost and arm and a leg!

I also agree that your stock power steering system was not the best and is prone to leaks at best.

My son and I did a Mustang Steve (I believe) cable conversion on his Maverick for around $100.00 (if my memory serves me). Although we already had the cable bell housing.
I ordered the Borgeson power steering box for my car. Hopefully all goes well and very little modifications are needed. After I get that sorted out I'll decide whether or not to try the stock power steering pump. From what I've read, very few people get the stock Ford pump to work with the Borgeson power steering box and end up buying the Saginaw power steering pump and brackets from Borgeson. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I partly decided to try this route because I know when I rebuilt the original steering box the worm shaft was fairly worn where the ball bearings ride. And there are no gears available for the stock steering boxes. Only bearings and seals are available for the original steering boxes.

Regards,
Mike
Borgeson steering box was delivered today. Looks surprisingly good. From pictures and what I have read I was expecting a rebuilt Toyota steering box with a welded on mounting plate. Wow! Its a new unmodified casting specifically for these cars so I am guessing a complete new steering box and nothing rebuilt. If it works as good the steering should be great.

I'll probably get the matching pump since I have not read one incident where the original Thomson power steering pump these cars had would create enough pressure. Borgeson says as long as the pump makes 1200 psi it should work. My Ford service manuals have a test pressure spec of 750 psi for the Thomson pump. So I am thinking the original Thomson pump is not designed for 1200 psi. Also, trying the original pump might mean having two sets of hoses made if it doesn/t work.

Regards,
Mike
Hey Mr Mike just a suggestion. How about a later model ford pump with a remote reservoir ? You would have to do the research on the specs. That GM style Saginaw power steering pump under the hood of a Mustang just...........
A friend of mine used the late model and looks good. Not sure of the brand steering box though.
Sorry took so long, but you get your parts and post so quickly.
Good luck, Cheers J
(06-26-2016, 12:09 AM)j-cobb9 Wrote: That GM style Saginaw power steering pump under the hood of a Mustang just...........

I have to agree - just one of those things that ... well like finger nails on a blackboard!

Now a Toyota pump on it doesn't bother me .. go figure.
I know, GM type of part in a Ford. I don't like it either. I thought of a late model Ford power steering pump. I just had no idea where to begin. Not only that, how to mount it. At least I painted the Saginaw power steering pump the original light blue/grey color of the original Ford power steering pump. After drilling two new holes in the mounting bracket it fits with the original length belt.

I did see one video online where a late model Ford power steering pump was installed with one of these conversions. It actually looked worse than the Saginaw power steering pump since the mounts were kind of rigged and it has the plastic reservoir.

I will say, from my experience as a GM technician when I was younger, the Saginaw power steering pumps work good and are quiet.

I wondered if a late model Ford power steering pump would fit into the original brackets with minimal modifications but didn't pursue that idea.

I'll keep posting the progress. Eventually some pictures. Others might be curious how well these conversions fit and work. Hopefully all will go well.

Regards,
Mike

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power Steering Fluid 1969_Mach1 3 9,775 06-08-2017, 01:29 AM
Last Post: JTS71 Mach1