New Direction????
Hey guys I'm going through a dilemma. I'm just not sure what I want to do. I have run across a Jaguar XJS V12 for cheap! It has had an engine fire which caused very little damage, hoses and wires mainly. I Drove one of these cars back when they were fairly new about 77 or 78. I worked for Continental Motors in LaGrange Ill. We had to move some cars to the warehouse, and I got to drive the Boss's Jag XJS V12 back and forth to shuttle the drivers. Now following a bunch of guys in Ferrari's, Lamborghini's and Maserati's.Was intimidating,and naturally you're expected to keep up, especially since you don't know the way to the warehouse. So the Race was on, The boss having been a professional racer had quite a bit of work done on his XJS and I was an 19 year old kid white knuckled, yet determined to keep up. I was blown away by the performance and handling capability, and swore one day I'd have one of them Jag's! It was a dream that really never came close to being real. That is until now. I have a chance at an XJS for stupid cheap. Body near excellent, interior good except for drivers seat and door panel, weathered badly. Engine good for core to be rebuilt, trans rebuilt which would make easy to sell. It's all there still assembled nothing missing or seriously futched up. Now for the Dilemma I already have, 2 Mach1's and a fastback parts car. I see several years of floor replacement, repairs, metal work, etc Before I can even think of building them into a car. Momma has done warned me I need to focus on the Mach1's or the Jag, as we have enough "flower pots" (extra cars) in the yard now, and If I want the Jag. Then something's got to go. I'm 57 and not getting any younger, I've come pretty close to death twice in just over the last 2 years. So I've realized I'm not ten feet tall, and Bullet Proof like I thought I was. So,,,,,,,, I can either Keep the Mach's and build 1 car out of 3 which will take several years, or sell the Mach1's using the money to build a Ford 400m/Cleveland and c6 drive train, install it, and paint the Jag. (no body work) About a years work, and I'll be driving a cool car to the car shows, instead of always looking at everybody else's. Which is the reason for this appeal to you all, my friends and Mach1 lovers, for some divine guidance, or just some sense talked into my head! Terribly confused and frustrated. Any thoughts, help, dirty looks, words, ect. will be taken graciously! A'm I nuts or what??? JTS 71 Mach1
Do it, buy the Jag. You know you want to.
Don't do it Jack. If you need a change of pace and are getting antsy for a ride, then unload all of it, and buy the ford of your choice. It doesn't have to be a show-stopper, just something you can have fun with. Jags just don't have the charisma that mustangs do. You'll want something simple and inexpensive to fix/find parts for, the jag doesn't meet that criteria-at all. Cripes, first thing ya know you'll be adopting an English accent and hanging around a sidewalk cafe' sipping tea and nibbling on crumpets. GXR
(10-28-2015, 10:38 PM)gxr02190 Wrote: Don't do it Jack. If you need a change of pace and are getting antsy for a ride, then unload all of it, and buy the ford of your choice. It doesn't have to be a show-stopper, just something you can have fun with. Jags just don't have the charisma that mustangs do. You'll want something simple and inexpensive to fix/find parts for, the jag doesn't meet that criteria-at all. Cripes, first thing ya know you'll be adopting an English accent and hanging around a sidewalk cafe' sipping tea and nibbling on crumpets. GXR

Thanks GXR When I wrote this I knew it was meant for you, and you'd definitely have something to say, now I can rest easy as I know all is right with the world! I sure wish i could find a Mach1 in the shape this Jag is in. We wouldn't even be having this conversation. JTS 71 Mach1
Better a Jag than a Chevy (LOL)!

All kidding aside, the only person who really knows the answer to this question is you. For me, I am motivated by passion. If you have more passion for one car over the other then the answer clear.

That's why I didn't restore a Volkswagon!

Keep us posted on your decision...it sounds like a tough one.
(10-29-2015, 10:49 AM)Mustangmike Wrote: Better a Jag than a Chevy (LOL)!

All kidding aside, the only person who really knows the answer to this question is you. For me, I am motivated by passion. If you have more passion for one car over the other then the answer clear.

That's why I didn't restore a Volkswagon!

Keep us posted on your decision...it sounds like a tough one.

Yeah I have to agree. At least it "Ain't no Damn Chevy". I couldn't stop thinking about it. I let it stew all week, Saturday to Thursday........... Well I just called the Guy and it's still available and I took that as a sign it was meant to be. So I'am a new owner of a 1987 XJS. Thanks for the words and warnings, guys. I doubt your gonna see me at any of the side walk cafe's anytime soon, unless I decide to buzz them real good. I'm thinking of calling it a "JAGOBRA" The sleekness of a Jaguar with the vicious strike of a Cobra! I'll keep you guys posted. That is if you are still talking to me, LOL JTS 71 Mach1
I think that you have made the right choice.

Keep us updated on the progress.

I have my Mach 1 (project) and am in a position that I do not need to part with it even if another possibility presented itself. I guess the reality is that it is still a project because other opportunities have presented themselves. ie. my children's rides.

Here's hoping that you can soon enjoy the ride and that farther down the road you will be able to get back to Mach 1 ownership and enjoyment.

Any pictures to share?
(10-30-2015, 05:00 AM)Steven Harris Wrote: I think that you have made the right choice.

Keep us updated on the progress.

I have my Mach 1 (project) and am in a position that I do not need to part with it even if another possibility presented itself. I guess the reality is that it is still a project because other opportunities have presented themselves. ie. my children's rides.

Here's hoping that you can soon enjoy the ride and that farther down the road you will be able to get back to Mach 1 ownership and enjoyment.

Any pictures to share?

Well I'm going to try and post the link here. I hope it works. The car actually looks a lot better in person, it's no where near as dull as it looks. I think with some buffing most of it will come out decent except the hood as it's faded to the point of not much paint left. we'll just have to see after we get it cleaned up. JTS 71 Mach1

http://jonesboro.craigslist.org/cto/5261657678.html IT WORKS!!!
My neighbor back in 1986 was a plant manager for Hess & Eisenhardt in Blue Ash, Ohio and did the convertible conversion of these XJS V-12's. He took me through the factory but I have never ridden in one.

I'll have to pass through Arkansas one of these days and take a ride in yours.
(10-30-2015, 11:22 AM)Steven Harris Wrote: My neighbor back in 1986 was a plant manager for Hess & Eisenhardt in Blue Ash, Ohio and did the convertible conversion of these XJS V-12's. He took me through the factory but I have never ridden in one.

I'll have to pass through Arkansas one of these days and take a ride in yours.

You'll be welcome anytime Steven. Another chapter in life is unfolding. Here's hoping it's a good one. JTS 71 Mach1