Water spots
How do you get hard water spots off of glass? I have tried everything, heavy duty descaler, rubbing compound, vinnegar, and baking soda. Any ideas?
Im having the same issue, if they are really bad I think your stuck with them. I have been able to get a few tough ones off with a brand new sharp razor blade and some 000 Steel Wool. I've used absolutely everything as well and really the brand new sharp razor blade and some 000 Steel Wool seems to be the best.
(11-17-2009, 03:12 PM)1972 Mach 1 Wrote: Im having the same issue, if they are really bad I think your stuck with them. I have been able to get a few tough ones off with a brand new sharp razor blade and some 000 Steel Wool. I've used absolutely everything as well and really the brand new sharp razor blade and some 000 Steel Wool seems to be the best.

I am going to try this stuff called Spot X.
Jeff let me know how that works out for you. I have heard of it just never tried it. My worst window is the rear fastback glass near the bottom.
Since we talked about this I wanted to give as much information regarding this problem in case other people need this answer and also to narrow down what does or doesn't work.

I also hope if any other members have some insight into water spots feel free to add comments as well.

SPOT-X

Bothered by water spots on your windshield, dangerous road film, or silicone buildup? Spot-X Hard Water Stain & Spot Remover cleans stubborn hard water stains from your vehicle glass. Whether the water stains are caused by acid rain, salt water, sprinklers or well water, Spot-X will work where other cleaners have failed. While Spot-X cannot be used on auto paint it will not harm the paint if it drips on it. Just don't rub it into the paint. Simply rinse off with water.

How does it work?

Spot-X is a POWDER that's how!

Spot-X Hard Water Stain & Spot Remover is made from Juglans Regia Shell. This material is very hard and is used to literally "sand off" the hard water/salt stain, silicate, heavy calcium deposits, lime scale, acid rain spots, soap scum, or any other stain that is on your glass, stainless steel, or chrome* without scratching it.

Works on shower doors, mirrors, windshields, windows, stainless appliances, stove & oven glass, porcelain tubs and sinks, stainless steel tubs and sinks, ring and scale in the toilet, bathroom tile, serpentine marble*, chrome* fixtures and faucets, chrome* bumpers and trim and car windows. ( not for use on painted surfaces but will not harm it if it gets on the paint, just wash off with water - no rubbing :-)

NO CHEMICALS - NO SMELL - NO GLOVES NEEDED. Spot-X is non-toxic, non-corrosive, no phosphates, no acids, no bleach, no solvents, no detergent, non-flamable, no butyl, no ammonia, no filming, no streaking and no odor. It's environmentally friendly but aggressive on stains.

How do I use Spot-X Glass Restorer?
Each 7 oz. Bottle of Spot-X comes with 1 FREE non-scratch pad.

1. You simply put 3 tablespoons of powder on a Spot-X No Scratch Pad. Then add just enough water to make a very thick paste (mix it with your fingers). This is very important. If too much water is added the product will not have the cutting power to work (Spot-X will not scratch glass, stainless or chrome*).
2. Working in a small 4 or 5 inch area, scrub very hard in a back and forth motion (not circular). Using 2 or 3 fingers on the pad works well. Don't be afraid to use a little elbow grease ( it's a lot cheaper than a new piece of glass or chrome ). After rinsing the small area with water and revealing the newly cleaned area will give you the incentive to finish the rest.
3. Now finish the rest of the project and rinse with clean water, then show all your friends.

For very large areas or extra-tough use the following Vibrating Palm Sanders: Black & Decker FS500, Black & Decker FS600G, Dewalt DW411K and the RIGID F2500. (Orbital sanders will not work) These sanders are the only ones we have found that our non-scratch pad will fit on. Attach the pad to the sander lightly moisten pad with spray bottle, then add some spot-x to the pad, making a thick paste. Use a back and forth motion with sander on the glass then wipe clean with a soft cloth.

Spot-X No-Scratch Scrubbing Pads are made of polyester. They are super soft and safe for all glass, stainless, chrome and practically all other surfaces. These are simply the best, longest lasting pads ever. These soft pads must be used with Spot-X so that you don't scratch the surface that you are working on. Note: Moh's Hardness Scale states that use of other green/brown pads or steel wool will permanently scratch glass because they are much harder than glass and other materials. That's why we sell so many pads.

Do not use the green or brown scrubbing pads found in your local supermarkets. These pads contain abrasive grit in the glue that will scratch your glass.

* Chrome must be triple plated, Spot-X may scratch chrome if it is only single or double plated. Also some Marble surfaces are very soft and prone to scratching. We recommend testing in an inconspicuous area for scratching. We cannot guarantee the use of Spot-X on Chrome or Marble because of the softer qualities of these materials. Spot-X does not work on Powder Coated or Color Anodized Surfaces.

VISIT SPOT-X WEBSITE HERE
I have had good luck with using CLR or even a bathroom cleaner called The Works. CLR works better IMO once I am done I polish in some Rain-X
(08-24-2010, 09:40 PM)TFFTR1 Wrote: I have had good luck with using CLR or even a bathroom cleaner called The Works. CLR works better IMO once I am done I polish in some Rain-X

Ill have to try that, at this point I'm desperate, the glass on my Mach is close to being replaced so hopefully this works.
(08-24-2010, 09:40 PM)TFFTR1 Wrote: I have had good luck with using CLR or even a bathroom cleaner called The Works. CLR works better IMO once I am done I polish in some Rain-X

I agree, once it is clean use Rain-X. I've been using it since the 70's. It makes the glass very slick and you don't even need to use the wipers if your cruising down the road over 40 MPH. I use it on my daily drivers too.
My Honda hatchback's windows were so bad, I couldn't see crap driving into the sun. Nothing worked (Texas hard water is the worst) - no CLR, no Lime-away, no hydrogen peroxide, no steel wool & razor blades... nada. I went to a local detail shop and they told me to try some of their acid wheel cleaner. Mixed up a batch (it's concentrated) and carefully sprayed it on (even though it doesn't hurt the paint - I wasn't taking chances). Gave it a minute or so to 'cook,' and wiped it off. Then hit it with some regular glass cleaner after - Perfect!

Of course, at that point, you need to make sure you treat the windows with something that will inhibit the adhesion of the minerals in the water. Rain-X seems to work - anything that will make the water bead-up on the glass... just like waxing the paint does.

Hope this helps someone.
I also live in Texas and the company I work for drives all black cars. Water spots are always a problem and the boss wants them spotless. I have found distilled vinegar works great. Mix it about 50% RO water and vinegar. Just pour it over the vehicle and wait a few seconds, then rinse with RO water.