Carb Spacers?
Hey guys,

I was wondering what your thoughts were on carb spacers. I know they aren't original and some of you guys take pride in that which I have no problem with. I have heard different things about them and that they may not add horse power per say they make things easier for the engine by allowing more room for the fuel air mixture process and lots of other stuff I sorta understand, but could easily be being fed bull. I have also heard they don't really do diddly. So whatcha think about them?

T
Sorry Todd,

All I know is the afore mentioned hearsay.

It does appear to be documented that they will help keep the carburetor cooler. (heat sink etc.)

I'm sure Jack has some experience that he can lend to the equation.

Earlier today I was reading up on throttle body spacers. "enhance power and fuel efficiency" (10-15% torque, 8% economy ..) for my V-10.

Yeah - don't know that I swallow that.
Hey Todd,

I have some experience with using a carb spacer. I ended up installing one on my first Mustang as I was having problems with vapor lock or fuel evaporation causing hard starts when the motor was hot. The fix was installing a 1/2" carb spacer and it solved the problem immediately. As far as adding more power I have read that it does add some top end to the motor but that is not the reason I installed one. I ended up installing a spacer on my current project for the same reason, to avoid vapor lock issues, not for performance.

Heres some more info:

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engin...r_spacers/

The general impression of carburetor spacers is that they?re down-to-earth, power-building devices. But that might not be completely true. Sure, spacers can be used to increase the power level of a Chevy engine. More importantly, however, they can be used as a sophisticated tuning aid. Spacers often provide an increase in top-end power, but at the same time they can reduce bottom-end power (as well as mid-range torque). The short version is that power gain comes from an increase in plenum volume, but that?s not the complete picture.

Using a single-plane intake manifold as an example, you have to first consider how it functions. Generally speaking, a single-plane intake includes a large centrally located plenum that has reasonably straight runners leading from the plenum to the port entries in the cylinder head. In a single-plane configuration, there is a large common plenum under the carburetor. This "common" plenum allows each runner and cylinder intake port combination to draw from all four of the carburetor venturis at wide open throttle. As the partially vaporized air-fuel mixture leaves the base of the carburetor venturis, it forms four individual "mixture streams." When each of the cylinders places a demand on the plenum chamber, these mixture streams (or in some cases, portions of the streams) physically bend in the direction of demanding runner-port entry. The mixture streams combine to form a single "mixture river" which flows into the runner, eventually feeding the cylinder that is making the demand.

One of the best features of a single-plane manifold configuration is that it allows each runner to withdraw a larger volume of air-fuel mixture during the available induction time span. Unfortunately, life isn?t always simple--and neither are intake manifolds. As each cylinder withdraws a charge from the plenum, the mixture streams are forced to change direction constantly.

Creating more havoc inside the manifold are pressure pulses that travel backward from the cylinder into the manifold runner and eventually into the plenum. And some engine combinations have more of this reverse pressure pulsation than others. These constant directional changes in the plenum along with pressure pulses can create a healthy amount of turbulence inside the plenum.

Some single-plane intake manifolds are designed with a very short turn radius coming out of the bottom of the carb venturis into the respective entries of the intake manifold runners. When the carburetor is moved up (most often with a spacer), the velocity of the intake charge is reduced, which in turn allows the previous mixture streams to make the bend around the corner (or short side radius) easily. In certain applications, a 1/2-inch spacer will work, but in other cases, the manifold design dictates a larger spacer.

It doesn?t take a rocket scientist to figure out that the addition of a spacer effectively increases the distance between the carburetor and the floor of the plenum. Because of this added distance, the carburetor signal is weakened. And when the signal is weakened, a larger jet (or jets) in the carburetor will be required. Carburetor spacers designed with four separate holes tend to recapture the velocity of the mixture stream that has been lost when an open carburetor spacer is installed. In simple terms, more exit velocity in the mixture stream creates a stronger carburetor signal than that found with an open spacer. Generally speaking, the jet size still will have to be increased when a four-hole spacer is used, but not as much as with an open spacer.

How much spacer should you use on your Chevy? As a rule of thumb, single-plane intake manifolds seem to respond best with larger spacers (2 inches in height and larger). On the other hand, most dual-plane intake manifolds work best with open spacers with a height of between 5/8-inch and 1 1/2 inches.

It should come as no surprise that the market is filled with dozens of spacer styles and configurations. Some spacers are manufactured with special insulating materials. These spacers decrease the amount of heat that is transferred from the intake manifold to the carburetor throttle plate and main body. This reduces the fuel temperature inside the carburetor. Naturally, the result is a denser fuel charge to the manifold, which in turn creates more horsepower.

So how can spacers be used to improve performance? Here’s a theoretical example: You have a Chevy that hooks. It works well and everything is fine until you’re up against conditions where the traction becomes limited and the weather is conducive to building power. Pretend your car still hooks up to the pavement but on the 1 to 2 gear change, it turns the tires heavily (in this case, assume that the engine rpm is brought down to the torque peak on the gear change). The performance is simply gone. Now what? It’s a tough situation to "tune" out. None of the normal tricks work because they kill the way your car launches.

Sound like a familiar situation? This is where a spacer can come in handy. Add a spacer (or increase the spacer height) and increase the jet size by a couple of numbers. The launch characteristics will remain almost the same, but the increased plenum volume helps to shift the torque peak (and peak horsepower) upward. Because of this, the engine isn’t dragged into the meat of its torque band during the gear change and it doesn’t turn the tires. The result? Your Chevy is still quick, even when traction is limited and power is abundant.

That’s but one area where spacer tuning can work, and there are dozens of other tuning applications. The point is, a spacer is a very inexpensive way to move the power curve around to suit the surroundings. Are spacers right for you? It definitely depends upon your application, but if you don’t tune with them, you could be missing out on some performance that is very easy to get.

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engin...z35lp1yyry
Great information.

We'll ignore his repeated reference to the "Chevy". Biggrin
Wow that was a lot of information that I can't say I understand completely nor how to apply it to my engine.
I have a 351c with 4v heads, an edelbrock torker intake. It also has a 750 holley double pump carb (which I am told is too much carb). I have yet to run it since it was messed up when I bought the car and has been completely rebuilt, but hasn't made it back into the car yet. I don't know tons about mechanics or muscle cars in general so I am stumbling through with the help of friends both here and where I am at.
I was told by one of the said friends that with all that carb a spacer would help as the torker is a single plane low rise intake and all that fuel would be helped by more space and that the over large carb wouldn't need bigger jets.

T
A 351C 4V can handle more carburetor than similarly displacement engines due to it's canted and large valve size. 750 is running on the high size depending on camshaft specifics. I ran a 750 back in the day on a built motor.

The single plane intake is the other part to your equation and I believe that you have been given good advice on a spacer with that set up.
Both the guys gave you good info. Just as the article said spacers help but they are not a cure all. And yes your Cleveland can run a 750 cfm carb. especially if you have a bigger cam or 9.5 or 10 to 1 compression. If you have one of the later Cleveland with the lower compression. You'll probably not see much power increase with the 750 over the stock carb. JTS 71 Mach1
It has a 282 Comp cam with I think 530 or 540 lifters in it. I was told that they were replacing the one that was in it with the same thing because it was a good fit for the engine.
I have no idea what the compression is. The original car was a 2v 351c but there are 4v heads on it and it has just been bored 40 over and new pistons replacing the other pistons which weren't stock pistons either. The only things not new/worked on the engine now is the block, crankshaft, and rods which were good ones from the last rebuild.
The machine shop guy said the motor was rebuilt in the mid 80s because he found some part with a date code from 83. The machine shop also has done work on the heads and in my limited researching and equally limited understanding I can once more valid my own statement of having no idea of the compression ratio.

I guess I need to do some more research into things. It was a couple months ago when I was told about all these things and I knew even less than I do now.

Thanks again for the continued help even though it seems most of the topics don't have any simple yes/no or numerical answers

T
Todd to make it easy:

Yes, the spacer should help you.

Yes, your motor should easily handle the 750 Holley.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boss 351 Carb, What was the PO thinking? mlp40 5 15,576 09-04-2014, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Steven Harris
  carb Help ryansmachone 10 25,184 07-04-2014, 10:43 AM
Last Post: JTS71 Mach1
  351c 2v carb and intake choice mlp40 4 15,986 03-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Last Post: MonsterMach72
  Need Help adjusting carb PsychoThruster 13 32,722 04-23-2011, 08:59 AM
Last Post: gxr02190