new new guy in VA.
hello i am new here and hope to get some good input on putting my Q code 73 mach 1 back on the road.i have owned the car since 85.i listened to all the older guys that said wish i never got rid of that one.so i never will part with mine.i hope to post some pics soon but the car needs a paint job.i had the car on the road in the early 90.s and racked up tickets fast.i had to take it off the road.i then went circle track racing.unfortunatly it was in a chevy.i am 43 have 2 kids 9&10 boy and girl.i am currently a balance tech NO i dont do motors or cranks but anything else that goes around.i was a machinist but im just disgusted at what they pay a guy to make precision parts on 100k plus machines.
Welcome - Glad to have you here with us.

Way to go! Not letting go of your car. Ownership since 1985, well on your way to great owner history.

Lots of smoke.. did valve seals .. do you have a automatic or standard transmission. My first thought if you have an automatic is that you are pulling tranny fluid out of the modulator valve by vacuum up to your motor. I guess the easiest way to check that is disconnect the vacuum on the modulator valve and see if the smoke goes away. If that does not work or you have a standard transmission then I will have to go back to thinking.

A few more details may also be helpful. Is the smoke more black or gray in appearance? When does it smoke? Feel free to post more and post often as we enjoy it all. We will also look forward to some pictures of your ride as it is now and as it has been since 1985.

Glad to have you here with us.
Welcome to the site! Welcome2

Id be one of those that say DON'T EVER GET RID OF IT, I WISH I HADN'T! I get that love sick pit of the stomach feeling every time I see a photo of my Mach, but then I think really hard that it was going to cost me about 25k to do it right and I just don't know when Id have that sort of extra money.

My finances and business took a crap last year and I had to liquidate all my toys or starve and get throw out of our house, but now that things are better I'm kicking myself in the ass for dumping my Mach1. I will NEVER find one like my 72 even though it needed absolutely everything. So my goal now is to find a 69-70 Mach 1 that has already had most major stuff done. It will be a long road I'm sure since cash isn't flowing out of my pockets but I will find another Mach 1. I just have to be patient and I suck at that.

Glad your here! Don't be shy we like active members here!

Hi Steven.i am glad i am on here to.my car has a standard trans so i will be thinking and spending some $.oh where do i start.i will put the car on the ground and point the exhaust outdoors 1st.maybe it will burn off but i will drain gas and take a look at the carb.it smokes all the time the color is hard to determine as my shop is not that well lit.but the taste of it is hard to rid of.will a cheap electric fuel pump be a good way to drain the old gas ya think? and i am wondering what kind of electronic ignition to get.i can spend some $ on it.i will post pics at some point.its a pretty solid car.BUT needs TLC.i tossed all the stock components like a fool when younger but i am not interested in stock.i have much to ask because i am tired of letting the car sit and if i dont spend the $ the wife will on horses and ponies.til tomorrow

(06-16-2011, 03:05 AM)Steven Harris Wrote: Welcome - Glad to have you here with us.

Way to go! Not letting go of your car. Ownership since 1985, well on your way to great owner history.

Lots of smoke.. did valve seals .. do you have a automatic or standard transmission. My first thought if you have an automatic is that you are pulling tranny fluid out of the modulator valve by vacuum up to your motor. I guess the easiest way to check that is disconnect the vacuum on the modulator valve and see if the smoke goes away. If that does not work or you have a standard transmission then I will have to go back to thinking.

A few more details may also be helpful. Is the smoke more black or gray in appearance? When does it smoke? Feel free to post more and post often as we enjoy it all. We will also look forward to some pictures of your ride as it is now and as it has been since 1985.

Glad to have you here with us.

(06-16-2011, 05:34 AM)Mach 1 Club Wrote: Welcome to the site! Welcome2

Id be one of those that say DON'T EVER GET RID OF IT, I WISH I HADN'T! I get that love sick pit of the stomach feeling every time I see a photo of my Mach, but then I think really hard that it was going to cost me about 25k to do it right and I just don't know when Id have that sort of extra money.

My finances and business took a crap last year and I had to liquidate all my toys or starve and get throw out of our house, but now that things are better I'm kicking myself in the ass for dumping my Mach1. I will NEVER find one like my 72 even though it needed absolutely everything. So my goal now is to find a 69-70 Mach 1 that has already had most major stuff done. It will be a long road I'm sure since cash isn't flowing out of my pockets but I will find another Mach 1. I just have to be patient and I suck at that.

Glad your here! Don't be shy we like active members here!
Yes i have considered selling it but thought about it.[the sick feeling]yes its been rough out there but im glad your doing better.I wish i had a 70 too.they are the best style out there.My car is fairly solid but needs alot of TLC to make it right.the car came with many options i will get more serious with all the specs when i get a picture up.the early 80,s.porshe mars red paint is in need of a fresh coat.Thank You for having me,great site,good job.

Welcome to the site. It's great to have another member from Virginia; I live in Warrenton, Virginia. What area do you live in? It's great you held onto your Mach all these years. I've had my 73 Mustang Convertible since 1974; at the time I heard the old timers say they should have hung on to certain cars, so I hung onto my 73. The main reason was that it was supposed to be the last Mustang convertible ever made, but as we all know the converts made a comeback in the 80's. If your not to far away maybe we can get together sometime or meet at a car show. Keep the posts coming.
Well Keepemsharp,

Sounds like the first step then is to drain all that old gas and see if that helps the situation. Usually bad (turned) gas smells and fouls more than smokes but it is a good place to start. I have always used the old school method of siphoning but a little electric pump will sure do the job. Just be sure to keep the place well ventilated. I have not upgraded ignitions yet but was planning on going with the Petronix. I read that it is good up to 6,000 RPM If you plan to consistently turn more than that you need to jump up to the next level. Looking forward to hearing and seeing your progress.
(06-16-2011, 02:00 PM)Steven Harris Wrote: Well Keepemsharp,

Sounds like the first step then is to drain all that old gas and see if that helps the situation. Usually bad (turned) gas smells and fouls more than smokes but it is a good place to start. I have always used the old school method of siphoning but a little electric pump will sure do the job. Just be sure to keep the place well ventilated. I have not upgraded ignitions yet but was planning on going with the Petronix. I read that it is good up to 6,000 RPM If you plan to consistently turn more than that you need to jump up to the next level. Looking forward to hearing and seeing your progress.
Well i have good news i kinda feel like fool but thats ok.i was wondering if the engine would turn over so i bumped the key and holy hilliary the car started idled nice and way less smoke.evidently when i was getting the carb primed after a few years of sitting it was dumping fuel.so the floats reset or something.but im sure the carb needs attention because of my old ignition,it would backfire sometimes out the carb and i believe that ruins the power valves,im very relieved i would have 30$ or more on valve stem seals if it meant not pulling stubborn keepers out.i had a fit with some of them.i dont have a stock distributor for the petronix.

(06-16-2011, 09:37 AM)Rare Pony Wrote: Welcome to the site. It's great to have another member from Virginia; I live in Warrenton, Virginia. What area do you live in? It's great you held onto your Mach all these years. I've had my 73 Mustang Convertible since 1974; at the time I heard the old timers say they should have hung on to certain cars, so I hung onto my 73. The main reason was that it was supposed to be the last Mustang convertible ever made, but as we all know the converts made a comeback in the 80's. If your not to far away maybe we can get together sometime or meet at a car show. Keep the posts coming.
thank you, i am from Bedford VA,cant wait to get back on the road.not quite ready for a show.but it always gives me incentive.back to work i will be in touch

Bedford is a good 3 hours away from Warrenton. I don't think I've been through there, but I remember seeing exits signs off of I81.
(06-17-2011, 06:04 AM)Rare Pony Wrote: Bedford is a good 3 hours away from Warrenton. I don't think I've been through there, but I remember seeing exits signs off of I81.
the best exit is 151s thats troutville and fincastle.in roanoke co .but it is awful pretty here.very close to the blue ridge pkway and the d day memorial on us 460.quite a change for a jersey boy.been here 6 years.older cars and trucks do much better down here away from the shore and all that salt on the roads.well im gonna go rip out the headliner that is shot,i cant see driving it with all that foam stuff flying around.im done here at work til tomorrow.
(06-18-2011, 11:46 AM)chutsonjr@yahoo.com Wrote: I like a long time car lover . It,s nice when you can hold out . C . L . SSig_welcometoourclan
thank you and yes its good to be fortunate to have survived driving like a jerk when younger and not having to sell because of hardships.i am just disgusted that i dont have the time to work on the car but some will be coming up soon. thanks