Installation Instructions Pertronix Ignitor
Enjoy the benefits of a pointless ignition system in about 15 minutes.

Pertronix offers one of the easiest and beneficial upgrades to your classic Mustang. From daily drivers to vintage track applications, this set up is a proven winner.

First remove the stock cap and rotor. Keep them since this kit is designed to use the stock components to retain a stock look. After that is out of the way, remove the worn out points and condenser leaving the braided wire ground strap in place. Install the new magnetic pick up unit onto the advance plate securing it with
the same screw that originally held the points in. Just snug it down so you can adjust the gap later.

Next slip the magnetic ring over the distributor shaft. Set the gap between the ring and pick up with the supplied plastic gauge supplied in the kit. After you have tightened the screw holding the pick in, now it is time to feed the red and black wires through the hole in the distributor housing and pushing the rubber grommet into place. Note: Some factory distributors have different sized hose so Pertronix supplies you with an extra eyelet to crimp on and a stepped grommet to work on both large and small holes.

Time to wire it up ! It is ok to shorten the wires. Keep in mind you will need to leave enough slack so that you can still rotate the distributor to adjust the timing later. Also you will need a couple more eyelets to crimp on. Attach the red wire to the positive terminal on the ignition coil and the black wire to the negative terminal. Getting these connected backwards will damage the unit.

After you have checked your connections and made sure all is tight, go ahead and reinstall your cap and rotor, or take this time to start fresh and replace them. As long as the timing was correct already, you should not have to reset it. Reinstall the plug wires and fire it up!

After installing the Pertronix unit, you will normally notice quicker starts, better fuel economy, and smoother running.

[Image: PI0.jpg]
1. The Petronix Ignitor we'll use is a #04581 which fits all 1965 to 1973 V8 Mustangs. Included in the kit is the Petronix module, the magnet sleeve, 2 nuts, a wire end, and an air gap gauge. Everything you'll need to do the job except for a flat blade screw driver, a 3\8" open end wrench, and a pair of wire cutters.

[Image: PI1.jpg]
2. Make sure the ignition is off and the battery is disconnected. Remove the distributor cap and rotor leaving the spark plug wires attached.

[Image: ptrnx03.jpg]
3. Remove the primary lead (the wire to the distributor) from the negative (-) side of the coil.

[Image: ptrnx04.jpg]
4. With the screwdriver, remove the screws holding the points and condenser.

[Image: ptrnx05.jpg]
5. Lift the points, condensor, and primary lead out as a unit. You may have to slide the rubber insulator on the primary lead up out of the distributor base. Sometimes they can be a little stuborn!

[Image: ptrnx06.jpg]
6. This is how your points, condensor, and primary lead should come out. There's no need to take all the pieces apart separately since they're all going in the trash!

[Image: ptrnx07.jpg]
7. Remove the ignition wire from the positive (+) side of the coil. If it still has the original press on cap, you'll need to cut the cap off, strip about 1\4" of the wire covering off, and crimp on the wire end provided in the Petronix kit. It's best to solder the wire to the end so that it will not vibrate or pull loose later. Dan's had already been chaged by a previous owner.

[Image: ptrnx08.jpg]
8. This next step is purely your choice. The wire leads on the Petronix unit are long because not all coils are the same distance from the distributor. We chose to measure the distance from the distributor to the coil and then cut the wire leads to shorten them. We then crimped new ends on and then soldered the ends to the wires.

[Image: ptrnx09.jpg]
9. This shows our Petronix module after we shortened the wiring. Notice how much we took off!

[Image: ptrnx10.jpg]
10 Set the Petronix unit in the distributor. There is a locating pin on the end of the Petronix module furthest away from the lead wires. This locating pin acts as a pivot for the unit to be moved closer or further away from the magnet sleeve. Make sure the pin is in the locating hole then, with the screwdriver, install the screw to hold the unit in place.

[Image: ptrnx11.jpg]
11. Drop the magnet sleeve over the distributor shaft lobes and push it down. It will fit snugly over the lobes and bottom out.

[Image: ptrnx12.jpg]
12. Using the plastic air gap gauge as a feeler gauge, set the gap between the magnet sleeve and the Petronix module. Don't worry about getting it perfect. This measurement is not as important as a point gap setting. Just get it in the ballpark and it will be fine.

[Image: ptrnx13.jpg]
13. Be sure the rubber insulator that is on the wire leads is installed in the distributor housing. The wires inside the housing should have some slack but should not rub on anything inside the cap. They will slip through the rubber insulator for adjustment.

[Image: ptrnx14.jpg]
14. Install the rotor and cap.

[Image: ptrnx15.jpg]
15. Connect the Black wire from the Petronix module to the negative (-) side of the coil. Connect the Red wire from the Petronix module and the ignition wire to the positive (+) side of the coil. CAUTION: Do not reverse these wires as it will destroy the module and void the warranty! Use the nuts provided and tighten them with the 3\8" wrench. Your Petronix is now installed. Reconnect your battery, and your car is now ready to start. No adjustment of the timing is necessary!

[Image: ptrnx16.jpg]
Your Done!
Update, I installed this on my 1972 Mach 1 and it was a breeze. Had some help from Hank Gallo as he soldiered the wires together for a rock solid fit. Cant say I really noticed any performance from the install but the fact that you don't have any deteriorating points is a bonus. I also installed the Flame Thrower coil.
(10-28-2009, 04:41 AM)1972 Mach 1 Wrote: Update, I installed this on my 1972 Mach 1 and it was a breeze. Had some help from Hank Gallo as he soldiered the wires together for a rock solid fit. Cant say I really noticed any performance from the install but the fact that you don't have any deteriorating points is a bonus. I also installed the Flame Thrower coil.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Petronics systems, it lets your car still have that stock appearance. My car came with the Mallory Unilite kit that replaces the points in the stock distributer. No more sitting on the side of the road setting points with a matchbook Confused
Ya Ive actually been having a few starting problems that werent there before installing the ignitor. Gonna keep an eye on it for a few more days and see what happens.

What I'm noticing is that when the cars hot, it doesn't want to start that easy, I'm having to floor it to get it to fire. Who knows could also be a carb issue.
(11-02-2009, 02:35 PM)1972 Mach 1 Wrote: Ya Ive actually been having a few starting problems that werent there before installing the ignitor. Gonna keep an eye on it for a few more days and see what happens.

What I'm noticing is that when the cars hot, it doesn't want to start that easy, I'm having to floor it to get it to fire. Who knows could also be a carb issue.

Could be a vapor lock issue
This is an old post, but just in case this is useful...

I also have the "starts great cold" with "difficult warm starting". This description matches the symptoms:
http://home.teleport.com/~cosa/vap/tech/...etter.html

Here's the solution:
http://home.teleport.com/~cosa/vap/tech/...txhome.htm

Am planning to do this as soon as it's back from the shop.
I installed this about 2 weeks ago on the green 71. I didn't think I'd really notice a difference but knew if I didn't install it and waited to put it in the mach 1 it would be "misplaced" by my housekeeper.

Well, took the 5 minutes needed to install it and the coil and WOW. Of course, mine probably needed points anyway but now I can barely tell it's running (stock 302 fastback, single exhaust). I may go with the Ignitor II on the Mach 1 I like this one so much. I've not had a bit of trouble starting hot. In fact, it starts better than it did. I actually have to wait for the started noise to subside before I can tell if the thing is running. I've only made about 10 short trips in it but I can tell it's something I'll do with any points car I have now or in the future.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Electric fuel pump installation instructions Masol 0 6,287 05-23-2015, 02:19 AM
Last Post: Masol