Mach 1 Club
Interior Paint, Dash and Steering Column Advice - Printable Version

+- Mach 1 Club (https://mach1club.com)
+-- Forum: Mustang Mach 1 Garage (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=175)
+--- Forum: Interior (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=180)
+--- Thread: Interior Paint, Dash and Steering Column Advice (/showthread.php?tid=7025)

Interior Paint, Dash and Steering Column Advice - crendave - 04-20-2020

HI,
I have a 71 Mach1 that needs to have the 'metal' parts of the dash (non bezel) painted.  The steering column needs some paint too.  I normally use SEM products (satin black) for trim pieces, but want to make sure I get the right color for the dash metal - under the glove box etc.  Anyone know the correct color for these areas?

Thanks,
David

RE: Interior Paint, Dash and Steering Column Advice - JTS71 Mach1 - 04-20-2020

Geez David, I don't believe I ever heard of an interior paint code??? I'm sure there is a listing for that somewhere, but Wow. I wouldn't have a clue, as where to look for it. Maybe a Mustang restoration Manual? I know there are several books out there that deal exclusively with restorations of our Mach1's, but don't worry, that's one of the great things about the Mach1 club, as collectively we are almost never without an answer, cause someone here knows the answer. and they should be along soon to help you out. Sorry I don't know more. 

JTS

RE: Interior Paint, Dash and Steering Column Advice - 1969_Mach1 - 04-22-2020

That is a tough one.  Some Mustangs had such a dark charcoal color with fine metallic on the metal interior parts it looks satin black in normal light.  I made that mistake on mine, but, I'm not going to go back and repaint anything.  To distinguish a charcoal from black most people will shine a flashlight directly onto an area that isn't typically exposed to the sun.  You might have to disassemble part of the steering column to do find an area that's hidden from the sun and that a previous owner hasn't repainted.

You might find some info in NPD's catalog.

RE: Interior Paint, Dash and Steering Column Advice - crendave - 04-25-2020

(04-20-2020, 12:44 PM)JTS71 Mach1 Wrote: Geez David, I don't believe I ever heard of an interior paint code??? I'm sure there is a listing for that somewhere, but Wow. I wouldn't have a clue, as where to look for it. Maybe a Mustang restoration Manual? I know there are several books out there that deal exclusively with restorations of our Mach1's, but don't worry, that's one of the great things about the Mach1 club, as collectively we are almost never without an answer, cause someone here knows the answer. and they should be along soon to help you out. Sorry I don't know more. 

JTS

Thanks JTS

RE: Interior Paint, Dash and Steering Column Advice - crendave - 04-25-2020

(04-22-2020, 05:42 AM)1969_Mach1 Wrote: That is a tough one.  Some Mustangs had such a dark charcoal color with fine metallic on the metal interior parts it looks satin black in normal light.  I made that mistake on mine, but, I'm not going to go back and repaint anything.  To distinguish a charcoal from black most people will shine a flashlight directly onto an area that isn't typically exposed to the sun.  You might have to disassemble part of the steering column to do find an area that's hidden from the sun and that a previous owner hasn't repainted.

You might find some info in NPD's catalog.

Thanks for the reply...I'm thinking the charcoal (fine metallic) is pretty close to the original.  I'm also finding out that the original Interior paint company is long gone - so exact color might be tough.