Mach 1 Club
69 Mach 1 Headlight switch reinstall issue - Printable Version

+- Mach 1 Club (https://mach1club.com)
+-- Forum: Mustang Mach 1 Forums (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: 1969 - 1970 MUSTANG MACH 1 FORUMS (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: Electrical (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+---- Thread: 69 Mach 1 Headlight switch reinstall issue (/showthread.php?tid=6869)

Pages: 1 2

69 Mach 1 Headlight switch reinstall issue - combat32 - 04-02-2019

Sorry New im sure its been asked alot, But i have removed the old headlight switch and installed the new one.
my problem is i cant get the knob to lock in, even outside the car it takes a few trys and wiggling to get it to lock.
i have tried for what seems like forever and still cant get it to lock in.
any ideas on what to do?
just upgraded to relays on the headlights and getting ready to do some halo led lowbeams.

RE: 69 Mach 1 Headlight switch reinstall issue - 1969_Mach1 - 04-02-2019

Are you talking about the knob and triangular shaped rod assembly?  Those are one assembly so if the knob is coming off of the rod, the assembly should be replaced.  If that assembly is fine, then as best I can remember the knob/rod assembly push into the switch and are locked in.  No special process involved.  Removing them from the switch as you probably know, involves pressing the button on the back side of the switch.  If the knob/rod assembly will not stay in the switch I'd say something is wrong with the switch.

RE: 69 Mach 1 Headlight switch reinstall issue - JTS71 Mach1 - 04-02-2019

I have also seen, where occasionally you have to push down on the button while pushing the, knob/rod in to get it to lock. Once it goes click all should be good. If it still won't lock in, and comes back out then somethings wrong with the switch, as 69 Mach1 said. Hope it helps 

JTS

Ps you need to go to the home page and look at the first forum listed. The one that says Introduce yourself here and give us an idea who you are and let us see what you've got. Then we can give you a proper Welcome.

RE: 69 Mach 1 Headlight switch reinstall issue - combat32 - 04-02-2019

(04-02-2019, 01:07 PM)JTS71 Mach1 Wrote: I have also seen, where occasionally you have to push down on the button while pushing the, knob/rod in to get it to lock. Once it goes click all should be good. If it still won't lock in, and comes back out then somethings wrong with the switch, as 69 Mach1 said. Hope it helps 

JTS

Ps you need to go to the home page and look at the first forum listed. The one that says Introduce yourself here and give us an idea who you are and let us see what you've got. Then we can give you a proper Welcome.

thanks I havent tried to push the button yet, I will try that next. Once i get frustrated common sense goes out the window, usually followed by some tools.
i will check out the Introduce yourself section.

1969_Mach1
yeah its the knob and rob assembly, thanks for the info

thanks again

RE: 69 Mach 1 Headlight switch reinstall issue - combat32 - 04-08-2019

Banghead
tried this weekend again and still cant get that damn thing to lock in.
took the switch back out put the rod in had to wiggle it a little and it locked in.
pressed the button and pulled it back out, tried to slide back in and wouldnt go. wiggled it and it locked in.
installed it back in the car and tried wiggling it and put pressure on it in different directions.
got mad walked away and tried again, got mad went and had a few beers Confused
watched videos on youtube and some show putting it in and others just do it outside the car.
maybe i should just buy another switch, i cant believe this thing is whooping my ass Cry

RE: 69 Mach 1 Headlight switch reinstall issue - 1969_Mach1 - 04-09-2019

It shouldn't take that much effort to reinstall.  Get another switch.

RE: 69 Mach 1 Headlight switch reinstall issue - JTS71 Mach1 - 04-10-2019

One more thought on this problem. The knob may be hitting the bezel when trying to install it. The knob could be shoved onto the rod a little to far, and not allowing the rod to go in far enough to lock in, when it's installed in the car, with the bezel on. So if that's the issue, Place the rod into a vice, and snug it pull hard on the knob and it will come off. Most of the time it takes a pretty good pull to remove them. Now with the switch installed in the dash as it should be. Insert just the rod, into the switch, and see if it won't lock in. If it does, simply slide the knob onto the end of the shaft, and push it till just before contact with the bezel, and all should be fine. Hope it Helps. 

JTS

RE: 69 Mach 1 Headlight switch reinstall issue - combat32 - 04-10-2019

(04-10-2019, 03:50 AM)JTS71 Mach1 Wrote: One more thought on this problem. The knob may be hitting the bezel when trying to install it. The knob could be shoved onto the rod a little to far, and not allowing the rod to go in far enough to lock in, when it's installed in the car, with the bezel on. So if that's the issue, Place the rod into a vice, and snug it pull hard on the knob and it will come off. Most of the time it takes a pretty good pull to remove them. Now with the switch installed in the dash as it should be. Insert just the rod, into the switch, and see if it won't lock in. If it does, simply slide the knob onto the end of the shaft, and push it till just before contact with the bezel, and all should be fine. Hope it Helps. 

JTS

this might be of help, with it installed in the car i have about an inch before the bezel where it stops.
but if i can remove the knob from the shaft and install that in the switch then put it in the dash all i need to do is push the knob back onto the rod.
a little scared to ruin my original knob though, i was reading on the reviews of the switches that sometimes the rod doesnt match some switches.
so i may order a new one anyway and try that first. the damn knob and rod cost more then the switch lol
thanks for the input

RE: 69 Mach 1 Headlight switch reinstall issue - Steven Harris - 04-12-2019

Any success yet?

RE: 69 Mach 1 Headlight switch reinstall issue - combat32 - 04-12-2019

(04-12-2019, 01:04 PM)Steven Harris Wrote: Any success yet?

my buddy is checking in some of his parts for his 70 mustang to see if he has a knob/rod i can try.
if he cant find it i might order the new rod and knob first, then the switch.
I will follow up on the progress.