Mach 1 Club
New guy with a question. - Printable Version

+- Mach 1 Club (https://mach1club.com)
+-- Forum: Mach 1 Club Member Area (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: WELCOME ALL NEW MEMBERS INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE ! (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: New guy with a question. (/showthread.php?tid=6834)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: New guy with a question. - roscop - 11-29-2018

Thanks everyone for your compliments, and suggestions. I'll have to give it some more thought on what to do,if it wasn't so original it would be an easier decision. I think the first thing I'll install is a chin spoiler,  and go through the car fixing whatever little things I find wrong with it.  

RE: New guy with a question. - 1969_Mach1 - 11-30-2018

The front spoiler isn't bad to install.  I installed one on my 69 Mach 1.  I chose the version NPD sells.  It was closest to original I found at that time.  A bunch of sheet metal screws into the front lower valance.  The valance is easily replaceable if you ever remove the spoiler.

That's a good plan to just fix things that are worn or wrong.  I'm sure you'll find some stuff, suspension parts, steering parts, etc.  The car is still too original for major work.

(11-29-2018, 11:48 AM)Mustangmike Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 10:39 AM)1969_Mach1 Wrote: You might be able to use the NPD slats and mount them differently.  Back in the early 1980's the previous owner of my older brothers Mach manages to attach hinges and latches to the stainless trim around the window.  It worked okay.  When my brother removed the slats he merely had to get new trim for the window.

The tag on the drivers door will have the code for the rear axle and trans.  The engine code is buried in the VIN.  In your case, "M" is the engine code.  The most common manual trans and rear axle combo for small blocks back then was a wide ratio 4sp. and 3.25:1 rear axle gears with an open differential.  You'll know for certain after you get the car.

I am correct in assuming your brother was only able to get one screw per latch into the trim?  I would not recommend doing it that nowadays if your car maintains its original molding.  The quality of aftermarket trim pieces is hit or miss. Nothing beats original.

It wasn't a factory setup.  My brother eventually removed them and replaced the trim.  What I did on my Mach 1 to stop heat from coming through was have a very light tint installed on the inside of the rear glass before I installed the glass.  I don't drive the car much, but my goal was to stop UV light from coming through.

(11-29-2018, 12:07 PM)JTS71 Mach1 Wrote: Hey Roscop, Welcome to the forum. Very Nice Mach1 Wow. I can't help with the Louver issue sorry. Unless you want to sell it in the future, I'd install the factory correct parts. Even if I had to drill holes, as that is what was done to most of them, before they left the dealer. The fact yours didn't get them is surprising. All depends on what you're going to do with it. Still, Very Nice Mach1

JTS

I agree with JTS71 Mach1.  If you are going to install rear window slats, use the original setup even if you have to drill holes.  Otherwise leave it as is.

RE: New guy with a question. - roscop - 11-30-2018

The car arrived this morning,  looks like I'll have plenty of little things to keep me busy for awhile,  but overall it's very nice. I found the buck tag still in place,  hopefully I'll get lucky and find the build sheet. Thanks for all the advice,  I'll post pictures with my progress.

Congratulations!  I'm sure you'll find plenty of stuff that's worn and needing some attention.  I happened to find the listing for your car on Elite's website.  I'm curious what the underside and engine compartment looks like.  The advertisement had a lot of pictures but none of the engine compartment and underside of the car.  Have you figured out why the glove box is covered with carpeting?

RE: New guy with a question. - roscop - 11-30-2018

The engine compartment definitely needs to be detailed, but appears to be all original,  the underside was undercoated, not sure if that was from the factory or dealer, but no rust to be found.  The owner said the glove box was damaged in a break in, he covered the area with carpet,  so I'll have to find a replacement.

RE: New guy with a question. - 1969_Mach1 - 12-01-2018

A little dirty, but nice and original.  Where do go from here, detail it, leave it as is?  If it still had original paint, maybe leave it as is.  But I think a good cleaning and detail are in order to get the engine compartment better matching the exterior.

Not trying to be critical, but was it mentioned when the exterior was repainted, years ago or recently to help prepare it for sale?  I only ask, because I have a classic car dealer locally in the town I live in.  All cars they sell get cleaned and detailed top to bottom before they are put in the showroom for sale.  On the other side, some believe leaving things alone is better when it comes to selling a classic car.

If the undercoating is dirty like the engine compartment it was either done at the dealer or at least a long time ago which is good.  Dirt and road grime doesn't wash off that stuff very well, even with steam cleaning.  If the undercoating is clean like the exterior then obviously it was done recently which can be good or not so good.

RE: New guy with a question. - Mustangmike - 12-01-2018

Congratulations on the arrival of your car.  The engine compartment looks original from what I can see in the picture.  I am not sure about the rest of you guys but I only see half the picture on my screen.  Anyway, I would to see a picture of how the glove compartment door was repaired with the carpet.  Do they reproduce the glove box door for the 69/70 Mach 1.

RE: New guy with a question. - roscop - 12-01-2018

The car was last painted at least 14 years ago, I'm in touch with the original owner and he's been very honest about everything.  I'm not sure how to make the pictures smaller,  that's how they pop up when I load them.  You can definitely tell the undercoating has been on there for a long time,  probably since new. It looks like the glove box door was removed,  and then some black matching carpet was installed in its place. On a hunch I took off the seatbacks and wouldn't you know it, I found the build sheet, it was crumpled,  so some parts are difficult to make out,  but otherwise in pretty good shape.