Mach 1 Club
New PowerSteering - Printable Version

+- Mach 1 Club (https://mach1club.com)
+-- Forum: Mustang Mach 1 Forums (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: 1969 - 1970 MUSTANG MACH 1 FORUMS (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: General Discussion (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Thread: New PowerSteering (/showthread.php?tid=6700)

New PowerSteering - mymachone - 03-18-2018

Well, it's going to be a busy spring . Just received my Borgenson power steering system .  And thanks to this site , I got the required info I need for the install.  The one thing I wanted to know was if I needed a new belt ?  After reading the posts regarding a Borgenson install , I got my answers.

I will also be installing a relay for my head lights , new front brake pads ,new rear shoes , turned drums and several small items . Prepairing for our spring Road Rally , in Pa.

RE: New PowerSteering - 1969_Mach1 - 03-18-2018

When I installed my Borgeson p/s I trimmed and redrilled the mounting holes in the pump bracket that Borgeson supplies.  Doing that permitted the use of the stock length belt.  Otherwise, a longer belt will be needed.
It took me several weekends to get it installed. Primarily because I have stock clutch linkage that needed to be modified. In the end, it works very good. Some people complain the steering wheel doesn't return to center as well as the stock system. That's merely because the Borgeson steering box is so much tighter (has much higher bearing and center steer preload settings) than the stock steering box. But that doesn't bother me.

RE: New PowerSteering - mymachone - 03-18-2018

(03-18-2018, 12:09 PM)1969_Mach1 Wrote: When I installed my Borgeson p/s I trimmed and redrilled the mounting holes in the pump bracket that Borgeson supplies.  Doing that permitted the use of the stock length belt.  Otherwise, a longer belt will be needed.
It took me several weekends to get it installed.  Primarily because I have stock clutch linkage that needed to be modified.  In the end, it works very good.  Some people complain the steering wheel doesn't return to center as well as the stock system.  That's merely because the Borgeson steering box is so much tighter (has much higher bearing and center steer preload settings) than the stock steering box.  But that doesn't bother me.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just use a longer belt than alter the mounting bracket ?  I would think that would alter any kind of return issue ?

RE: New PowerSteering - 1969_Mach1 - 03-19-2018

Yeah, a longer belt would have been easier.  But, the mount bracket Borgeson offers put the pump out so far, the pump pulley was only about 1/2" away from the MSD ignition box I have mounted to the inner fender panel.  Classic Performance Parts offers better mount brackets for the Saginaw power steering pump.  But I didn't find that out until after I was finished with the conversion.

RE: New PowerSteering - mymachone - 03-19-2018

(03-19-2018, 01:12 PM)1969_Mach1 Wrote: Yeah, a longer belt would have been easier.  But, the mount bracket Borgeson offers put the pump out so far, the pump pulley was only about 1/2" away from the MSD ignition box I have mounted to the inner fender panel.  Classic Performance Parts offers better mount brackets for the Saginaw power steering pump.  But I didn't find that out until after I was finished with the conversion.

Is your a 69 , with a small block ? Mine is and I didn't have that issue . Lots of room between pump and fender.

RE: New PowerSteering - 1969_Mach1 - 03-20-2018

My 69 Mach 1 has a 351W.  The Saginaw pump using the Borgeson mounting bracket would fit just fine if my MSD ignition box was moved to another location.  I just didn't want more unused holes in my inner fender panel.

I'm assuming when your say yours has a small block it's also a 351W.  That was the smallest motor available in the Mach 1.  Some that are not familiar with 351W's group them in with the 289-302 motors.  But the 351W is taller and wider than the 289-302 motors.  About the only thing the 351W block has in common with the 289-302 motors is the bore spacing.  Cams physically interchange, but the 351W uses a cam with a different firing order to reduce loads on the front main bearing.  The 351W is also much taller than 351C motors.

RE: New PowerSteering - mymachone - 03-20-2018

(03-20-2018, 03:05 AM)1969_Mach1 Wrote: My 69 Mach 1 has a 351W.  The Saginaw pump using the Borgeson mounting bracket would fit just fine if my MSD ignition box was moved to another location.  I just didn't want more unused holes in my inner fender panel.

I'm assuming when your say yours has a small block it's also a 351W.  That was the smallest motor available in the Mach 1.  Some that are not familiar with 351W's group them in with the 289-302 motors.  But the 351W is taller and wider than the 289-302 motors.  About the only thing the 351W block has in common with the 289-302 motors is the bore spacing.  Cams physically interchange, but the 351W uses a cam with a different firing order to reduce loads on the front main bearing.  The 351W is also much taller than 351C motors.l

yes , mine is a 351W