Mach 1 Club
Tool Kit Suggestions - Printable Version

+- Mach 1 Club (https://mach1club.com)
+-- Forum: Mach 1 Club Administration (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=174)
+--- Forum: SUGGESTION BOX (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=190)
+--- Thread: Tool Kit Suggestions (/showthread.php?tid=5923)

Pages: 1 2 3

Tool Kit Suggestions - Mach1FatherFigure - 10-09-2014

How about a thread to help people who are just starting to get into vehicle maintenance and then maybe restoration choose tools suitable to their needs?
Sort of steering people clear of getting 1/4 to 3/4 drive socket sets if all they want to do is change globes, fuses and the odd fan belt.

RE: Tool Kit Suggestions - Steven Harris - 10-09-2014

It looks like you have started it!

Good idea. I am sure that here in the U.S. it is probably much easier to come up with some basic tool kits much easier than in other parts.

I started with a basic Craftsman set and built from there for both myself as well as my children. Specific use tools have followed as the need demanded it.

RE: Tool Kit Suggestions - Mach1FatherFigure - 10-09-2014

OK. I started with a 'Williams' kit of all the popular sizes in Metric, Imperial and Whitworth. It cost me 40 UK Stirling in 1969. I still have some items from that set including the box.
I now spread over 2 huge White boxes plus a drive through gantry and loads of other items. It stands me in at about Au$44k at the moment.
Getting back to 'Where to start?' - I would suggest a Stanley 3/8 and 1/2 drive set plus the Stanley 13 piece screwdriver set.
That would allow a novice to tackle most everday jobs and simple service proceedures like an oil change, radiator hose and fan belt replacement.
After that start thinking about a floor jack and stands.
Any one like to comment on those suggestions? I think it's a good starting point.
Once you cover the everyday stuff you move on to 1/4 and 3/4 drive, puller sets, test meters, compressor, rattle gun, torque wrech(s) etc.
Just as a couple of side notes: My daughter wore a Snap-On 1/4" and 6mm combination spanners as jewlery for 5 years at High School AND currently if I join all my socket set extensions together it totals over 12 feet.
A man needs an obsession. Notallthere

RE: Tool Kit Suggestions - JTS71 Mach1 - 10-10-2014

Hey! what's a man without his, Rolleyes "TOOL" Rolleyes Oh excuse me that's tools! JTS 71 Mach1
Otherwise pretty good list for starters, a good quality set of pliers, dykes, and channel locks also are pretty handy

RE: Tool Kit Suggestions - Mustangmike - 10-10-2014

As the saying goes "the most important tool to own is the one you don't have". Same as Steve, I started off with the bare minimum and worked my way out from there.

One tool I found to be very useful is a tap & die set. I am a big fan of chasing threads. A freshly chased bolt is a happy boltBiggrin

RE: Tool Kit Suggestions - Steven Harris - 10-10-2014

(10-10-2014, 11:40 AM)Mustangmike Wrote: One tool I found to be very useful is a tap & die set.

Mike, what brand of tap and die set have you found to be affordable yet quality?

RE: Tool Kit Suggestions - Mustangmike - 10-10-2014

(10-10-2014, 02:45 PM)Steven Harris Wrote:
(10-10-2014, 11:40 AM)Mustangmike Wrote: One tool I found to be very useful is a tap & die set.

Mike, what brand of tap and die set have you found to be affordable yet quality?

I have the 19 piece craftsman set which is a pretty basic set with both coarse and fine thread taps and dies. Price wise I think it runs about $35 at Sears but I usually wait for their sales (i.e Father's Day).

In my neck of the woods there is a tool store called Harbor Freight and they offer like a 100 piece tap and die set for $30 or so. Not sure of the quality but it is usually a hit or miss with this store.

I am thinking of actually purchasing a thread chaser tool. I believe I have seen them offered at Eastwood. It probably makes more sense and it would save on my taps.

RE: Tool Kit Suggestions - Mach1FatherFigure - 10-11-2014

Thread Chasing/Cutting:
Most times for tasks I found I was chasing rather than cutting so the cutting quality of taps and dies did not really matter.
As time passed I got the thread chasing set from Snap-On and P&N taps and dies as I needed them rather than in a set.
Still find I use the chasers MUCH MORE than the cutters.
PS. Always use cutting lube - Better finish and less wear.
PPS. I will post the Stanley set numbers for a suggestion to those who may be looking.

RE: Tool Kit Suggestions - Mustangmike - 10-11-2014

(10-11-2014, 11:19 AM)Mach1FatherFigure Wrote: Thread Chasing/Cutting:
Most times for tasks I found I was chasing rather than cutting so the cutting quality of taps and dies did not really matter.
As time passed I got the thread chasing set from Snap-On and P&N taps and dies as I needed them rather than in a set.
Still find I use the chasers MUCH MORE than the cutters.
PS. Always use cutting lube - Better finish and less wear.
PPS. I will post the Stanley set numbers for a suggestion to those who may be looking.

Absolutely correct M1FF! I agree so I am asking Santa for a chaser this this year. But, my dies have fixed quite a few bolts that had seen their day! I really really try to use OEM parts as much as I can. So it is worth it to me to run the tap and die to correct the threads. I have gone as far as taking a file to them and it actually works.

RE: Tool Kit Suggestions - JTS71 Mach1 - 10-11-2014

Snap on and several other companies sell "thread files" They are square and have file teeth to match thread pitch, (number of threads per inch). They also have a metric file just like it, for metric bolts an threads. I don't remember sears having those? But definitly a valuable tool. Works great on front wheel drive axles when you bugger up the threads. JTS 71 Mach1