Mach 1 Club
Led lights not all that good. - Printable Version

+- Mach 1 Club (https://mach1club.com)
+-- Forum: Mustang Mach 1 Garage (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=175)
+--- Forum: Interior (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=180)
+--- Thread: Led lights not all that good. (/showthread.php?tid=3624)

Pages: 1 2 3

Led lights not all that good. - mymachone - 08-31-2011

I have heard so much about the led lights , so i thought I would give them a try for my interior lighting ( not dash ) I found that the old units actualy throw more light . Yes the led's are brighter but don't throw as much light , especialy in the sail panel .
Has anyone else found this to be the case ?

RE: Led lights not all that good. - Rare Pony - 09-01-2011

I put them in the dash of my 73 convertible and so far I'm happy with them although I don't drive very much at night. I left the rest of my interior lights original.

RE: Led lights not all that good. - Oztrailer - 09-01-2011

They make a world of difference for the dash. I only have a roof light in my car and it never had the guts when I got it so didn't work. I made up a led light with blue led's. It probably isn't as good as the incandescent bulbs but looks good.

RE: Led lights not all that good. - JTS71 Mach1 - 09-01-2011

Yes that is definetly the problem with LED's they can be bright, but have no abilibty to illuminate an area more then a few inches away from the bulb. Thats why LED flashlights suck Angry. JTS 71 Mach1

RE: Led lights not all that good. - Masterblaster7212 - 09-01-2011

I am wondering if it is the same as the case for the new LED courtesy light bulbs for under the dash as well.

Those things are expensive so if they dont illuminate as well then they can have them.

I am older now and cannot see as well at night.
I need al the light I can get.Headscratch

RE: Led lights not all that good. - mymachone - 09-01-2011

(09-01-2011, 02:10 PM)Masterblaster7212 Wrote: I am wondering if it is the same as the case for the new LED courtesy light bulbs for under the dash as well.

Those things are expensive so if they dont illuminate as well then they can have them.

I tryed the led's under dash , no where near as effective as the old incadesants. But I am open to using them in the instraments , seems thats the one place they do well. However I did use Halagons in my tail lights and it made a hugh differance and I have halagons for my head lights and it made a big diff. They are off the shelf units from N.A.P.A

RE: Led lights not all that good. - John - 11-10-2018

(09-01-2011, 08:53 PM)mymachone Wrote:
(09-01-2011, 02:10 PM)Masterblaster7212 Wrote: I am wondering if it is the same as the case for the new LED courtesy light bulbs for under the dash as well.

I tryed the led's under dash , no where near as effective as the old incadesants.  But I am open to using them in the instraments , seems thats the one place they do well.  However I did use Halagons in my tail lights and it made a hugh differance and I have halagons for my head lights and it made a big diff.  They are off the shelf units from N.A.P.A

RE: Led lights not all that good. - John - 11-10-2018

Ok I am new here. We own a 1970 Mustang Convertible Boos Clone with a 347 stroker power plant. Grabber Blue and all original sheet metal and even the top is original. Very low miles. In my winter season I did a lot of work on it a couple years ago. I am retired young and moved my auto repair shop to a new building on my ranch.
One thing I did was pull the entire dash and fix a few things and added all blue dash LED light bulbs. They do not dim but are full power and both look great and make the gauges easier to read. I also added blue LED under dash courtesy light ( a flat board with LEDs on it). They light up the entire floor area and at night with the top down and you open the door the whole car glows cool blue. Always get great compliments to. It might all depend on what LED lights you all are installing??
I also own a 1972 Red Mach1 and  am getting ready to pull the entire dash, resurface the gauges and repair the clock. I plane to fix some lighting failures and install red Led dash lights and floor lighting. Will post the results later.

RE: Led lights not all that good. - Oztrailer - 11-10-2018

Led's have come a long way in the last few years. They are better now than they were when they were first introduced.

RE: Led lights not all that good. - JTS71 Mach1 - 11-11-2018

I've got to agree with you. The sad part is the crappy ones are still out there. You have to try an LED light before you by it. If I can't try one I don't buy it. 

JTS