Top loader reverse.
Was wondering if anyone has any advice on a 69 with a 4sp toploader with an early 70s hurst shifter?
The reverse is a little too easy to select when looking for 1st. The rods are new as are all bushings, the selector has been thouroughly cleaned and checked, and moves firm but well through the gears.. and the trans was rebuilt not so long ago, [/size]
Can I somehow adjust a little more distance and or resistance between these two gears?

As I remember there is some kind of a spring that you have to force against to get into the reverse slot. I can't remember just what type it is but it sounds like it's weak or worn, and not offering enough resistance. Hopefully somebody knows a little more. JTS 71 Mach1
"We built these cars to drive the "HELL" out of them, not to be museum pieces!"  Carroll Shelby

2008 Mustang V6 5 speed "Diablo Sport Predator" tuner, 87 octane tune. WOW!
1994 Ford F150 Shortbed
1986 Honda 450 Rebel
1995 Honda Pacific Coast
1989 Jacobra / Jag xjs

(12-05-2014, 08:48 AM)JTS71 Mach1 Wrote: As I remember there is some kind of a spring that you have to force against to get into the reverse slot. I can't remember just what type it is but it sounds like it's weak or worn, and not offering enough resistance. Hopefully somebody knows a little more. JTS 71 Mach1

I know what you mean, Ill have a look, its a good starting point. Thanks.

Let's start with the basics...did you properly align the linkage on the shifter?

It should be somewhat difficult to put the car into reverse. There are 2 heavy coil springs inside the shifter handle bracket. My guess is that they're finally tired. Here's a link that might be helpful:
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/transmis...ifter.html
JRP

1971 Mach 1, 1973 Opel GT, 2013 Mercedes C300, 2012 FLHRC, 1982 FXRS, 1972 XLH

(12-08-2014, 02:14 AM)jrpav Wrote: It should be somewhat difficult to put the car into reverse. There are 2 heavy coil springs inside the shifter handle bracket. My guess is that they're finally tired. Here's a link that might be helpful:
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/transmis...ifter.html

Thats my thought looking at it tooConfused

Excellent link and a very good, complete, and accurate rebuild. I have had several Hurst shifters apart and cleaned / repaired, but had never taken the reverse spring assembly apart. After seeing it broken down I said oh yeah that's what they look like! It's amazing as you get older how the little things escape you, until you see a picture, then the little light bulb in your head goes "blink" and you remember like it was yesterday------ or was that last week or ????? Oh heck I don't remember. C'mon fess up, I'm not the only one, 'am I ??? Sad JTS 71 Mach1
"We built these cars to drive the "HELL" out of them, not to be museum pieces!"  Carroll Shelby

2008 Mustang V6 5 speed "Diablo Sport Predator" tuner, 87 octane tune. WOW!
1994 Ford F150 Shortbed
1986 Honda 450 Rebel
1995 Honda Pacific Coast
1989 Jacobra / Jag xjs

Yeah CRS (can't remember stuff ) sucks.

I knew that. SCo_hmmthink SSig_help Huh Brane Fade.

The Daughter's '70 Mach 1.  Nana
                                     My: 4 x E32; 2 x E38; X5 BMWs; 2 x BMW MINIs (R50 & R55);
                                     Daimler Sovereign(s)  S1 and X40 and a Rolls Royce Silver Spirit     Cool
                                     Parts car:  E38 Confused