PCM keeps burning out have replaced for PCM
Currently have my Mustang Mach 1, 2004 at the Ford dealer here in Hilo Hawaii and it continues to burn out PCM’s could there be a short somewhere need help Originally car was running and it turned off like you turn the key off the dealer has already installed it’s fourth PCM but I’m sure if there is an underlying issue please respond need help
I think you are right.  I'm not familiar too familiar with the OBDII system.  I've done some diagnosis work on OBDII systems, but not a lot.  But I will say, when I was younger working as a GM technician.  When a PCM failed for no clear reason (GM called them ECM back then) we would check all the actuators, relays, solenoids, etc. controlled by the PCM for shorts and improper resistance.  We would also check the clamping diodes attached to those components.  Sure enough, most every time a PCM failed, something else caused it.  Once in a while a PCM failed without any other cause, but rarely.

Since you are on the fourth PCM, either something else is causing it to fail or you have another faulty component and the PCM is fine.  Do they mention what is leading them to diagnose the PCM as bad or is it an educated guess?
(12-07-2018, 11:01 AM)1969_Mach1 Wrote: I think you are right.  I'm not familiar too familiar with the OBDII system.  I've done some diagnosis work on OBDII systems, but not a lot.  But I will say, when I was younger working as a GM technician.  When a PCM failed for no clear reason (GM called them ECM back then) we would check all the actuators, relays, solenoids, etc. controlled by the PCM for shorts and improper resistance.  We would also check the clamping diodes attached to those components.  Sure enough, most every time a PCM failed, something else caused it.  Once in a while a PCM failed without any other cause, but rarely.

Since you are on the fourth PCM, either something else is causing it to fail or you have another faulty component and the PCM is fine.  Do they mention what is leading them to diagnose the PCM as bad or is it an educated guess?

On the third PCM after it failed they stated that They could not communicate with the PCM and that there were no Signal going to the injectors yesterday they installed a new  PCM and it's working fine now I would think if there was a short or an issue with other component it would fail almost immediately or shortly after what do you think.
Back when I was working on cars they would fail in a few days if there was a bad component causing it.  At least it was a few days before we were made aware of it.  If those are rebuilt PCM's they are installing it could also be they are poor quality.
If it was another component causing it to fail it might be something not used often making it fail when operated so not failing straight away when replaced. Maybe an electric boot release?
(12-07-2018, 07:26 PM)Oztrailer Wrote: If it was another component causing it to fail it might be something not used often making it fail when operated so not failing straight away when replaced. Maybe an electric boot release?
I was wondering if A1 Cardone remanufacturing company may be the issue with so many PCM’s failing or possibly the Ford dealership has a little knowledge Just because the fact that there is few Mustangs here on the big Island of Hawaii
A1 Cardone is a huge parts remanufacturing company.  But from what i have seen, I don't think their quality is very good.  When available, I always select other brands when it comes to reman parts.  Ford use to have reman PCM's.  I purchased one many many years ago when we had a 1994 Mustang.  It worked fine.  But maybe not for your car being it's 14 years old.

On another note, being a 2004 Mustang, I wouldn't expect the mechanics at the Ford dealer to very knowledgeable on it.  Dealerships rarely see cars that are old enough to be out of warranty.

When I was working as a mechanic at a Chevrolet-Buick dealer, when we couldn't get a GM new or reman part, there were only two parts stores we sourced from and only because they carried the better quality brand name parts.  Today, it seems car dealerships don't care so much about quality and buy from Oreilly, Autozone, basically, whoever carries what they need at the cheapest price.
(12-09-2018, 05:34 AM)I agree not too happy with a one car down I am myself personally would have used blue streak in Canada but the Ford dealership uses the cheapest avenue possible very sad1969_Mach1 Wrote: A1 Cardone is a huge parts remanufacturing company.  But from what i have seen, I don't think their quality is very good.  When available, I always select other brands when it comes to reman parts.  Ford use to have reman PCM's.  I purchased one many many years ago when we had a 1994 Mustang.  It worked fine.  But maybe not for your car being it's 14 years old.

On another note, being a 2004 Mustang, I wouldn't expect the mechanics at the Ford dealer to very knowledgeable on it.  Dealerships rarely see cars that are old enough to be out of warranty.

When I was working as a mechanic at a Chevrolet-Buick dealer, when we couldn't get a GM new or reman part, there were only two parts stores we sourced from and only because they carried the better quality brand name parts.  Today, it seems car dealerships don't care so much about quality and buy from Oreilly, Autozone, basically, whoever carries what they need at the cheapest price.
Mustangbob
(12-09-2018, 05:34 AM)I agree not too happy with a one car down I am myself personally would have used blue streak in Canada but the Ford dealership uses the cheapest avenue possible very sad1969_Mach1 Wrote: A1 Cardone is a huge parts remanufacturing company.  But from what i have seen, I don't think their quality is very good.  When available, I always select other brands when it comes to reman parts.  Ford use to have reman PCM's.  I purchased one many many years ago when we had a 1994 Mustang.  It worked fine.  But maybe not for your car being it's 14 years old.

I agree I myself would have used a BlueStreak from Canada to have it repaired a1 cardone Doesn’t have a very good reputation at this point it’s in the dealers hand so they have to get it right eventually just want my