Pictures and some info from a new guy
John and Mike,

Thanks for all the information. I did mention I installed an Edelbrock carb (LOL)!  I know Mike is not a big fan of them.  Maybe I should have gone with a Holley.  Anyway, I get the gist of what you guys are saying. I am thinking of purchasing the calibration kit that Edelbrock recommends using even with new carbs. Right now I am going to wait until the temperature returns back into the 50's before doing anything more.

In regards to the dual point distributor it has not rebuilt but has very low mileage on it.  It was removed from a 1965 Mustang fastback that was t-boned back in the 80's right after it was restored.  Actually, the NOS quarters that were on that car are now on my Mustang.  Hopefully, my cars have better luck.  I cleaned the distributor up and squirted some penetrating oil down into the shaft and everything seems to be working fine.  It immediately brought my car back to life when I installed it.

Mike
(11-16-2018, 10:27 AM)Mustangmike Wrote: John and Mike,

Thanks for all the information. I did mention I installed an Edelbrock carb (LOL)!  I know Mike is not a big fan of them.  Maybe I should have gone with a Holley.  Anyway, I get the gist of what you guys are saying.

In regards to the dual point distributor it has not rebuilt but has very low mileage on it.  It was removed from a 1965 Mustang fastback that was t-boned back in the 80's right after it was restored.  Actually, the NOS quarters that were on that car are now on my Mustang.  Hopefully, my cars have better luck.  I cleaned the distributor up and squirted some penetrating oil down into the shaft and everything seems to be working fine.  It immediately brought my car back to life when I installed it.

Mike

I like Edlebrock cads for the more simple after market upgrade or to get out of a really old worn out factory unit. For me the Holley might have more options to make adjustments. But I sure could be wrong there. They seem user friendly and I installed several for my clients rigs so they could be taught how to adjust them and not get in over their head. I am no help on the accelerator circuits and off line stumbles on them, sorry.
(11-16-2018, 10:25 AM)John Wrote:
(11-16-2018, 10:07 AM)1969_Mach1 Wrote: 34 total is fine.  Might run better with more initial timing than the stock 6 deg. BTDC.  But then you need to recurve the distributor to limit the total timing.  Sometimes simply disconnecting the vacuum advance is enough to limit the total advance on a stock distributor.  There are articles on how to recurve stock Ford distributors.  Crane also makes a spring kit and adjustable vacuum advance.  Most people run as much initial as possible, start at 10 degrees BTDC and move up and down as needed.  Then not use a vacuum advance if the mechanical advance by itself will get it to about 34 degrees total.  I ended up at 13 degrees BTDC initial and 21 degrees mechanical for a total of 34 degrees.  Once drawback of increasing the initial timing is you might need a PMGR high torque starter.  The original style Ford starters sometimes crank slow after advancing the ignition timing.

Holley nozzle sizes represent the orifice diameter, unlike Holley main jet sizes.  If you have number drills and a pin vise you can take a smaller nozzle and open it up.  With larger nozzles, some say at #35 and some say #40 you need a hollow nozzle screw to flow enough fuel.

I have the Crane part number. There has not been any great amount of change to this rebuilt 3351C. Decks were not milled, head just rebuilt. Stock pistons, crank and rods. Some cam change was mentioned to an RV cam but I can not prove that. Te specs are not provided just the cam name. I need to recheck manifold vacuum since the intake/carb and header work. Was around 12. This slight hesitation is since the complete install so I go back to the install part first. mainly the carb. I always go back to the last things done as suspect.
My other mustang is in a whole different league and I had to modify the Holley a bunch and ultra sound clean it as it has been screwed with. I needed to change the power valve because it pull 7 inches or so of vacuum. It runs like a scolded dog now ;-) I sense this issue is a minor issue to resolve and I will try an over size discharge nozzle to see if it effects the issue in any way. I think I mentioned the hollow bolt above in my previous postings. i doubt the distributor is a cause to. Time will tell and I sure do not want to over think this thing. It is so close to working just fine.  Thanks.

On the 70 convertible, with only 7" of vacuum, are you using an additional vacuum pump or storage cannister for the power brakes?  Or does the car not have power brakes?
(11-16-2018, 01:15 PM)1969_Mach1 Wrote:
(11-16-2018, 10:25 AM)John Wrote:
(11-16-2018, 10:07 AM)1969_Mach1 Wrote: 34 total is fine.  Might run better with more initial timing than the stock 6 deg. BTDC.  But then you need to recurve the distributor to limit the total timing.  Sometimes simply disconnecting the vacuum advance is enough to limit the total advance on a stock distributor.  There are articles on how to recurve stock Ford distributors.  Crane also makes a spring kit and adjustable vacuum advance.  Most people run as much initial as possible, start at 10 degrees BTDC and move up and down as needed.  Then not use a vacuum advance if the mechanical advance by itself will get it to about 34 degrees total.  I ended up at 13 degrees BTDC initial and 21 degrees mechanical for a total of 34 degrees.  Once drawback of increasing the initial timing is you might need a PMGR high torque starter.  The original style Ford starters sometimes crank slow after advancing the ignition timing.

Holley nozzle sizes represent the orifice diameter, unlike Holley main jet sizes.  If you have number drills and a pin vise you can take a smaller nozzle and open it up.  With larger nozzles, some say at #35 and some say #40 you need a hollow nozzle screw to flow enough fuel.

I have the Crane part number. There has not been any great amount of change to this rebuilt 3351C. Decks were not milled, head just rebuilt. Stock pistons, crank and rods. Some cam change was mentioned to an RV cam but I can not prove that. Te specs are not provided just the cam name. I need to recheck manifold vacuum since the intake/carb and header work. Was around 12. This slight hesitation is since the complete install so I go back to the install part first. mainly the carb. I always go back to the last things done as suspect.
My other mustang is in a whole different league and I had to modify the Holley a bunch and ultra sound clean it as it has been screwed with. I needed to change the power valve because it pull 7 inches or so of vacuum. It runs like a scolded dog now ;-) I sense this issue is a minor issue to resolve and I will try an over size discharge nozzle to see if it effects the issue in any way. I think I mentioned the hollow bolt above in my previous postings. i doubt the distributor is a cause to. Time will tell and I sure do not want to over think this thing. It is so close to working just fine.  Thanks.

On the 70 convertible, with only 7" of vacuum, are you using an additional vacuum pump or storage cannister for the power brakes?  Or does the car not have power brakes?

At idle I guess the brakes are not so important. When shutting down the throttle coming up to the stop lights I guess the vacuum jumps enough? It jumps all over the place so I take the average. It always goes up on on deceleration. All I know is the motor has a radical idle and shutters and shakes at idle, the mirrors shake and quiver and the exhaust grumbles in disgust and it'srebellion out of the 3" pipes and  I love it!! You need to see the faces of so called normal people when it rolls up to an intersection and  they are sitting in their smooth running SUV clone alike cars :-0  My lovely wife is so often in the drivers seat and gets so many thumbs up !! Guys you keep her  happy and the spending has no limits!! I have no doubt God loves hot rods.
When I was younger I had a Dodge Challenger with a 440 and it had a fairly long duration high valve overlap cam.  It only made 9" of vacuum at idle.  I can honestly say you will get into situations when you are coming to a stop where the deceleration is not enough to charge the power brake booster and you will have no power brakes.  Even if it is charged, you will only get two or three brake applications before the assist is gone.  Or more common are situations like slow speed stop and go traffic, or at a long stop light where you creep forward a little and stop again, the power brake assist will not be there.  If your wife drives that 70 Mustang for her safety it would be wise to add an electric vacuum pump to that car.  Another relatively simply option is convert it to manual brakes so the pedal is consistent.  An additional vacuum storage cannister will help but not 100% of the time.  From experience it's a bit risky driving it like it is.
(11-17-2018, 04:05 AM)1969_Mach1 Wrote: When I was younger I had a Dodge Challenger with a 440 and it had a fairly long duration high valve overlap cam.  It only made 9" of vacuum at idle.  I can honestly say you will get into situations when you are coming to a stop where the deceleration is not enough to charge the power brake booster and you will have no power brakes.  Even if it is charged, you will only get two or three brake applications before the assist is gone.  Or more common are situations like slow speed stop and go traffic, or at a long stop light where you creep forward a little and stop again, the power brake assist will not be there.  If your wife drives that 70 Mustang for her safety it would be wise to add an electric vacuum pump to that car.  Another relatively simply option is convert it to manual brakes so the pedal is consistent.  An additional vacuum storage cannister will help but not 100% of the time.  From experience it's a bit risky driving it like it is.

I hear what you are saying. For two years now we drive in car cruises, to other towns, shopping and just cruising. The only times I lost power assist was early on before I overhauled the Holley as  it would die coming up to stops. Just had to push harder was all. I was concerned early on but it has worked wonderfully since the re-working on stuff I have done. Thanks
(11-17-2018, 08:15 AM)John Wrote:
(11-17-2018, 04:05 AM)1969_Mach1 Wrote: When I was younger I had a Dodge Challenger with a 440 and it had a fairly long duration high valve overlap cam.  It only made 9" of vacuum at idle.  I can honestly say you will get into situations when you are coming to a stop where the deceleration is not enough to charge the power brake booster and you will have no power brakes.  Even if it is charged, you will only get two or three brake applications before the assist is gone.  Or more common are situations like slow speed stop and go traffic, or at a long stop light where you creep forward a little and stop again, the power brake assist will not be there.  If your wife drives that 70 Mustang for her safety it would be wise to add an electric vacuum pump to that car.  Another relatively simply option is convert it to manual brakes so the pedal is consistent.  An additional vacuum storage cannister will help but not 100% of the time.  From experience it's a bit risky driving it like it is.

I hear what you are saying. For two years now we drive in car cruises, to other towns, shopping and just cruising. The only times I lost power assist was early on before I overhauled the Holley as  it would die coming up to stops. Just had to push harder was all. I was concerned early on but it has worked wonderfully since the re-working on stuff I have done. Thanks
I was in a hurry to get to town before. My warm idle vacuum bounces a bunch. The low is 7" and the high is 9". Being not at all steady know one knows what it is at any point in time. The  average might be called 8" or so not 7" which is the low end swing. Sorry I did not spend more time there. I had to go to a lower power valve as well. It runs fine now and I love driving that Mustang. It has been stored away now for the long cold winter.
Welcome.

Two very nice cars!

Thank you for sharing.
Welcome (sorry it's so late)!

Awesome cars!  Nice to have another Clydesdale owner. Drink_to_that

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1969 Mach 1 Pictures 1969_Mach1 34 84,566 03-24-2016, 07:40 AM
Last Post: 1969_Mach1
  Some New Pictures of my 2004 Oxford White Mach 1 Rare Pony 2 9,833 09-04-2011, 04:49 AM
Last Post: Steven Harris