How much of your Mach 1 have you replaced?
Whether it be sheet metal, upholstery, paint, engine, suspension, wheels, glass, or otherwise - what's been swapped out for NOS, reproduction, or from a donor/parts car?

Perhaps I should actually go with 'what's still actually original' on mine.  LOL!

So, mine was a rusted pile in the shape of a Mach 1.  The only things left that are original on mine:
  • hood
  • roof/upper quarters
  • doors
  • dashboard
  • rockers
  • rear deck/internal structure/rear frame rails/inner wheel houses
  • F/R end caps
  • upper cowl
  • firewall (mostly)
  • taillights
  • rear axle
  • side mirrors
  • license plate brackets
  • window regulators
  • instrument cluster & gauges (although I replaced the dash clock with a tach and ammeter with a voltmeter)
  • interior molding pieces (restored and reused)
  • deluxe door panel inserts
  • engine (bored, balanced, blueprinted, and totally rebuilt with go-fast goodies
  • driveshaft
  • wiring harness
  • drip rails & associated trim
  • seat frames
  • steering column (rebuilt by combining with another, though)
Now we're getting into the little details that I'm not really sure of, but suffice it to say quite literally everything else has been replaced on mine.

So, what about yours?
Well based on how bad your trunk looked in that last posting I am surprised how long your list of original parts is.  My 66 Mustang only retains its original roof, RH Frame rail, firewall, transition pan and dash.  It is far from the same car that left the factory.
Like I said, a pile of rust in the shape of a Mach 1. ;)

[Image: schlep1.jpg]

[Image: Interior_starting_point1.jpg]
Everytime I see before pictures, of your Mach1 Eric, I cringe, as I've passed on several in that kind of condition. Just barely enough there, to know it "was" a Mach1. 

I had a rust free 80" Z28 that I bought to flip, I found a guy who had a Mach1, and a standard fastback parts car. He said they both had rust, but were solid. So I went 5 hours away to look at them. We were suppose to trade even up. Now the Z28 was not perfect, but was a solid 8, and run and drove. I wished a thousand times I could have found a Mach1 in the shape this Z28 was. 
So we get there, and from a 100 foot away,  I said Uh Oh! ( I didn't even unchain the Z28)  what he said was solid was the plywood cut, and fit into the floor board area of the Mach1. I pulled it up and Fred Flintstone would of been proud, cause there was nothing there! The only part of the floor was the seat crossmember. Otherwise there were no floors. Front or Back! (the fastback was worse) After about 10 Minutes of looking I walked over, and told the guy I sure as Heck, wasn't giving my Z28, for what they had. They got all hot, and bothered and I apologized. But told him They better learn the proper way to represent a car, before they go making deals. I then Happily drove myself, and the Z28 back to the house. 

JTS
(07-02-2018, 11:44 AM)JTS71 Mach1 Wrote: Everytime I see before pictures, of your Mach1 Eric, I cringe, as I've passed on several in that kind of condition. Just barely enough there, to know it "was" a Mach1. 

I had a rust free 80" Z28 that I bought to flip, I found a guy who had a Mach1, and a standard fastback parts car. He said they both had rust, but were solid. So I went 5 hours away to look at them. We were suppose to trade even up. Now the Z28 was not perfect, but was a solid 8, and run and drove. I wished a thousand times I could have found a Mach1 in the shape this Z28 was. 
So we get there, and from a 100 foot away,  I said Uh Oh! ( I didn't even unchain the Z28)  what he said was solid was the plywood cut, and fit into the floor board area of the Mach1. I pulled it up and Fred Flintstone would of been proud, cause there was nothing there! The only part of the floor was the seat crossmember. Otherwise there were no floors. Front or Back! (the fastback was worse) After about 10 Minutes of looking I walked over, and told the guy I sure as Heck, wasn't giving my Z28, for what they had. They got all hot, and bothered and I apologized. But told him They better learn the proper way to represent a car, before they go making deals. I then Happily drove myself, and the Z28 back to the house. 

JTS

What a story.  So many people don't represent cars well.  Here is a good one.  I saw brand new set of Mickey Thompson tires on Craigslist for $380.  I checked Summit Racing and the exact same tires with free shipping were $374.  I e-mailed the guy to see if he was flexible on the price and he responded that the price was fair.  So I emailed him back and told him I could buy the same tires on Summit for the same price and if he was willing to negotiate to let me know by Sunday because I was going to get them from Summit.  So long story short the guy came down to $360.  I am thinking to myself what an idiot.  Why would I buy them from him and take the risk there is a defect or out of round when I can get them from Summit without any worries.

The moral of the story is if you are selling on CL for the same price you can buy it new a normal person will opt to buy it from a place they can return it.  If he came down a $100 I would have purchased them.
Yeah you definitely have to watch Craigslist, and Flea Bay. You can get some great deals, but you can get screwed real hard if you aren't careful.

JTS
Mine was a Craigslist story, too.  I originally saw that first pic (swiped from the CL ad, as a matter of fact) and was intrigued, but not "all-in" for $2800.  I kept seeing it on CL for a few weeks with the price dropping a bit each time.  It had gotten down to $2200 when I called the seller and asked about it.  He said he'd had lots of interest (B.S.) and it wouldn't last long (more B.S.).  I waited a few more days and called to go see the car - meanwhile, my wife had found his ebay ad for the same car (more pictures) with pretty much the same description - for $2000.  I printed that out and took it with me. 

My pal Jim was warning me off the whole time, but as I've mentioned before, I had the Mach 1 Goggles on and I was going to have this car.  He had said something about the $2200 CL ad price, and I showed him the ebay ad... to which he reluctantly agreed to honor that price.  After crawling all over the car, noting the holes in the floor, the seized engine, seized master cylinder, the fact that he had no title or even a set of keys, along with Jim "Dude-ing" me the whole time, I walked away.

After another week, I called the guy back and asked how things were going, and he once again came back with the 'lots of interest' and 'won't last long' B.S., and I told him I'd like to check it out one more time.  So, I met him on a Saturday morning with a trailer and looked it over one more time.  He still wanted $2200, and I reminded him of the ebay ad I'd shown him last time.  He sighed and agreed again.  But then I threw him a healthy dose of reality.  He kept claiming it was a rare and desirable car, and worth a lot more - he'd just seen one go for $40K on Barrett Jackson.  To which, I threw up the B.S. Flag.  During that week away, I'd joined 7173Mustangs.com and I think this forum as well, and done a ton of research.  Turns out it was a Boss 351 that went for $40K (very much NOT a ratted-out H-Code Mach 1), and I explained everything in detail about the car (production numbers, DSO code, how insignificantly not-rare or collectible the car is, etc.) and told him with the seized engine, rust, no title or keys, and overall sad shape of the car that I would give him $1600 and not a penny more.  He started to protest and I basically told him that I've been watching this car not selling for the past 2 months, and that he wasn't going to find another sucker to give him even that much.  He wanted to argue, but finally agreed after seeing the trailer outside... and a few minutes later my other friend Don and I winched the Mach 1 onto the trailer, I handed him 16 Benjamins and took his quickie Bill of Sale that he'd scribbled out.  I later found out he'd only paid something like $1000 for it, and was trying to pull off a Gas Monkey kind of a deal.

It wasn't until I got it over to the Auto Hobby Shop that I'd started being concerned about a few things... First, that I'd gone against Jim's advice, Second that I'd paid too much, and Finally that there were no keys.  I wasn't even concerned with the lack of title, but that would sink in later and turn out to be no big deal as well, since it had ancient Texas plates, a military ID tag, and a Texas registration sticker from 1980 (it had fallen out of the system a long time ago).  Jim wasn't pissed, but he was definitely not initially very supportive.  I'd even asked him, "OK, Jim. What should I start with?" Without missing a beat, he replied, "A tetanus shot."  Looking back on things, that was freaken hilarious... but at the time it just irritated me.  I think after the 2nd year of beatin', bangin', cuttin', weldin', and cussin' he finally came around that I was serious about it and changed his tune a bit.

The best part of the whole deal was hearing Jim's compliments and pride over a job well done at the Mach 1's public debut at the Rec Camp Car Show in 2014.  He hadn't seen it completed to even that level yet and was duly impressed.

Here's a pic I found of that day with he and the Mach 1.

The sad part of this whole story is that we lost Jim last August [2017] to complications of having lived a hard life and sepsis.  But, I think about him every time I hop in the Mach 1 and go for a spin.
I'm fortunate regarding this subject.  My 69 Mach 1 was built in the San Jose CA plant, first sold in Arizona, then back to California.  The motor and trans are not original.  Sadly, the previous owner sold the original motor and at some time replaced the trans with the same type, FMX, but newer year.  Since I didn't have the original trans I did a conversion to a close ratio toploader 4sp.  Here is a list of the non-original body parts.

New Ford front and rear lower valence.
New Ford front panel below the grill.
Used OEM shock towers from a 1969 Fastback Mustang
Used OEM passenger door from a 1969 Fastback Mustang.  This was simply because it was less expensive than replacing the door skin on the original door.
New Ford hood and door hinges (all).

Fortunately I restored this long ago and new Ford parts were still available from my local Ford dealer.
NOTHING.

That is what I have replaced - of course it is still sitting in my container - waiting!

But having said that, it will need an intake manifold, carburetor, exhaust system and radiator.  

No rot - as in southern Arizona.

To those of you who start with a tetanus shot and jump in -  !!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  smooth window operation on 70 Mach CUSTOMMISER 2 1,468 08-15-2022, 12:10 PM
Last Post: CUSTOMMISER
  Is your Mach 1 on Google Earth Street View? Rare Pony 2 1,876 03-05-2022, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Rare Pony
  72 Mach 1 Power Steering Pressure Hose Jelly 1 2,941 11-07-2021, 08:42 AM
Last Post: JTS71 Mach1
  Turn signal electrical issue 1970 Mach 1 flananuts 2 2,547 10-21-2021, 09:01 PM
Last Post: flananuts
  '03 Mach 1 fuel pump skidmarky 1 2,725 04-29-2021, 11:06 PM
Last Post: JTS71 Mach1
  69 Mach 1 rear seat install RostaRob 8 18,608 06-29-2019, 02:44 AM
Last Post: rindel
  1970 Mach 1 Hood tach rlincoln0814 15 30,091 03-08-2018, 03:53 AM
Last Post: 1969_Mach1
  69 MACH 1 fuel cap? noroz 6 20,607 06-06-2015, 03:51 AM
  04 Mach 1 exhaust rattle Bogie#7 11 31,155 05-30-2015, 05:47 PM
  Post a Picture of What You Sold or Traded to Get Your Mach 1 Rare Pony 69 184,711 05-09-2015, 02:58 AM
Last Post: mrmach1