balancing act
ok just thought i would add that i have access to balance things here at the work place.i believe we make the best balancing machines out there.i am currently balancing a flywheel and clutch assembly for my circle track car.in time i will do the same for my mach.i imagine we could get crazy and balance all pulleys, drive shafts [without yolks and u joints]if interested email keepemsharp@aol.com.im in SW VA. USA.
Thumbsup
Thats good to know. Your only 4 or five hours away from me if I ever need your service.
i guess i was not thinking clearly but drive shafts are tough because i don't have a bearing surface to locate on.i am wondering how its done though and believe an end drive is needed,so the yolks and all will need to be in place.NO we don't do cranks here at the shop. i am in process of a fixture to center the disc in the flywheel and pressure plate asslby.i can easily balance flywheels beyond spec but ideally the whole unit.so when its clamped together on the machine i will simply write timing marks on everything so when you assemble this yourself at home it will be close.way better then just throwing it up there.it really is amazing to see how parts react to being balanced.less vibration more RPM when balanced,smoother easier on equipment,and quieter.static balance is ok but if the item enables me to dynamically balance it.now where talking.oh we can do impellers for turbo,s too.like i said we make the machines here that balance for all the big names in auto industry and aircraft. back to work.
What kind of balancer is it ? I ran a Stewart Warner crank balancer for years at the shop I used to work at. Unless you have a neutral balanced flywheel there is no way to balance it alone. Anything with a weight cast into it will need the crank with it's bobweights clamped on. Front balancers as well.
(11-13-2011, 08:10 AM)furray Wrote: What kind of balancer is it ? I ran a Stewart Warner crank balancer for years at the shop I used to work at. Unless you have a neutral balanced flywheel there is no way to balance it alone. Anything with a weight cast into it will need the crank with it's bobweights clamped on. Front balancers as well.
Hofmann balancers,we have quite a few ,verticals and horizontals,big and small and really small. i am having a hard time following you here.I am able to clamp the fly wheel with an expanding collet or even a lathe chuck in the hole in the center,We are able to compensate for tooling error which is very important because a tenth of a 1000th of an inch of eccentricity is huge when it compounds at larger correction diameters.so when i comp a part and then balance it i should be able to take that part and turn it on the chuck or collet at any angle 180 degrees out or 90 or whatever it should stay in tolerance.we balance many high performance boat engine flywheels for a big name i cannot disclose. but i know i dont need a crank to balance a flywheel.i have no concept of how a crank balancer works but i will ask a coworker about what your claiming may be true,i like the questions though keep them coming there is a huge wealth of knowledge here.i know some but i surely dont know it all,but i can find out.look us up www.hofmann-global.com.
(11-17-2011, 08:31 AM)keepemsharp Wrote:
(11-13-2011, 08:10 AM)furray Wrote: What kind of balancer is it ? I ran a Stewart Warner crank balancer for years at the shop I used to work at. Unless you have a neutral balanced flywheel there is no way to balance it alone. Anything with a weight cast into it will need the crank with it's bobweights clamped on. Front balancers as well.
Hofmann balancers,we have quite a few ,verticals and horizontals,big and small and really small. i am having a hard time following you here.I am able to clamp the fly wheel with an expanding collet or even a lathe chuck in the hole in the center,We are able to compensate for tooling error which is very important because a tenth of a 1000th of an inch of eccentricity is huge when it compounds at larger correction diameters.so when i comp a part and then balance it i should be able to take that part and turn it on the chuck or collet at any angle 180 degrees out or 90 or whatever it should stay in tolerance.we balance many high performance boat engine flywheels for a big name i cannot disclose. but i know i dont need a crank to balance a flywheel.i have no concept of how a crank balancer works but i will ask a coworker about what your claiming may be true,i like the questions though keep them coming there is a huge wealth of knowledge here.i know some but i surely dont know it all,but i can find out.look us up www.hofmann-global.com.
Some engines are exteranlly balanced so they have a counterweight cast into the flywheel and the front balancer. Those kind of flywheels and harmonic balancers can't be balanced without being bolted to the crank with bobweights on the rod throws to simulate the reciprocating weight.

(12-15-2011, 01:20 AM)furray Wrote:
(11-17-2011, 08:31 AM)keepemsharp Wrote:
Some engines are exteranlly balanced so they have a counterweight cast into the flywheel and the front balancer. Those kind of flywheels and harmonic balancers can't be balanced without being bolted to the crank with bobweights on the rod throws to simulate the reciprocating weight.

ok Sir you are right about the weights cast onto flywheels,yes they are there for a reason,the fact that and also like to add i dont recall,is that when we bolt up flywheels they can only go on one way.its been a while since i have done a clutch.but i should be able to help unbalance with pressure plate and disc as an assembly .i will look into this and ooh dont send me your flywheels.thank you

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How To Balance An Engine - Engine-Balancing Basics Mach 1 Club 0 7,938 01-06-2014, 05:06 AM
Last Post: Mach 1 Club