Preferred Vendors
Who are some of your preferred vendors for parts?
I have a 71 Mach 1
I just canceled my order with CJ Pony parts and won't be doing anymore business with them.

I have found quite a few like

Mustangs Unlimitted
Cal mustangs
virginia classics
NPD
Mustangs Plus
Laurel Mountain
Mustang Depot.
I think it all comes down to prices. All of these vendors basically get the same parts from the same manufacturer. Most of the ones you mentioned on the list are nothing more than drop shippers anyway.

All my parts I purchased for my 72 Mach 1 I got from different vendors. I just scour the net to find the best price. When paying with a credit card be sure your card company will help you if you have any issues. I usually use my Discover Card when buying items, Discover protects me 100%. In the past when Ive had an issue they credited my account the funds in dispute until a resolution was determined. In my case EVERY dispute Ive made has been covered and after I returned the parts at my own expense, the vendor always conceded and canceled the billing returning my funds to the Discover card.

Sorry you had a bad experience with CJPony, Ive had good success with them in the past, and usually found they were cheaper than others.

Also with my 06 GT Ive been using Amazon with great success.

In any event be sure you understand the return policy from whatever vendor you purchase from. Ive also found that actually calling the order in is better than just ordering online without talking to anyone. Establishing a contact with a particular vendor can go a long way if you have any issues.
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with CJ Pony Parts. I used them for most of the parts on my 73 Convert. They made mistakes on a couple of occassions, but were quick to correct. Most of the parts I ordered I received within two days of the order. The most problems I had was with NPD, they shipped the same wrong exhaust system two times. But they were friendly and finally resolved on the third try. It turned out the manufactuer marked the wrong part number on the boxes. They were shipping me dual exhausts and I only needed single exhaust. Hhmm, maybe I should have kept it!!!
I may try CJ's again later down the road. Three differant stories from 3 differant people and didn't seem to care that i was canceling the order. They just said we can cancel it and hung up.

I like to find the best prices too but i will gladly pay more for good customer service.

I would rather talk to a live person also but most of the time my job doesn't permit it. I am on call for 24hours for 2 weeks. Most of my days are filled and don't get done till the vendors are closed. Just trying to get parts ordered so when i get home from work i have parts waiting for me and can get after it.

Thanks for the responses
I have ordered from CJ's twice, both times key stuff was back ordered
I still have not received the back ordered stuff from the first order.
Example, complete exhaust system..who wants part of a complete exhaust system?
Keep in mind most of these vendors are drop shippers and keep very little stock on hand.
It sucks to hear all these negative reviews about CJ. They are my preferred supplier. It is true that they do often have a lot of stuff on back order but they always go the extra step with me.

Case in point: 2 weeks ago I ordered a shifter bezel. They called me and told me it was on back order for 3 months but they would give me a higher-quality replacement for the same price. Can't beat that! Not to mention CJ is by far the quickest shipper.

But, everyone has their pony to ride. No pun intended.
(02-23-2011, 01:37 AM)Mach 1 Club Wrote: I think it all comes down to prices. All of these vendors basically get the same parts from the same manufacturer. Most of the ones you mentioned on the list are nothing more than drop shippers anyway.

All my parts I purchased for my 72 Mach 1 I got from different vendors. I just scour the net to find the best price. When paying with a credit card be sure your card company will help you if you have any issues. I usually use my Discover Card when buying items, Discover protects me 100%. In the past when Ive had an issue they credited my account the funds in dispute until a resolution was determined. In my case EVERY dispute Ive made has been covered and after I returned the parts at my own expense, the vendor always conceded and canceled the billing returning my funds to the Discover card.

Sorry you had a bad experience with CJPony, Ive had good success with them in the past, and usually found they were cheaper than others.

Also with my 06 GT Ive been using Amazon with great success.

In any event be sure you understand the return policy from whatever vendor you purchase from. Ive also found that actually calling the order in is better than just ordering online without talking to anyone. Establishing a contact with a particular vendor can go a long way if you have any issues.

I have to disagree with you on several points.

"I think it all comes down to prices."
If all you go by is low price, you are going to get the low quality if there are multiple manufacturers.

"All of these vendors basically get the same parts from the same manufacturer."
While a lot of parts are made by one manufacturer, there are thousands of parts made by two or more manufacturers.

"Most of the ones you mentioned on the list are nothing more than drop shippers anyway"
While drop shipping is used in the parts industry. Most parts have to be bought in quantities to get decent pricing and be competitive.

Don
Ohio Mustang Supply
www.ohiomustang.com

Well everyone has there opinions. However, in many negative situations vendors don't even back there own products they sell. From a buyers perspective customer service from most vendors suck.

Case in point I purchased a Grill for a 72 Mach 1 from Cal-Mustangs. They swore theirs was the best repop and quality control was of utmost importance to them. When the item arrived I couldn't get the blue tape off the chrome that they used for protecting it. Literally I bought the part and when it arrived I attempted to put it on and remove the tape.
Cal-Mustang would not take the item back because they said I must have left it in the sun, therefore making it not a defective item but my fault. THIS DID NOT HAPPEN!!

So I ended up selling the grill to someone here on the boards and purchased one from Scott Drake. Grill was perfect and I had no issues at all.

The point here is, vendors sometimes forget about customer service. It seems as if they only care sometimes about that one sale and don't look at the big picture that if a restorer is restoring he/she is going to buy more parts down the line. A lot of guys give a vendor a shot and if it turns sour most will not purchase from that vendor again, and then they tell everyone about that negative experience out here on these message boards. As it is shown from this first topic starter.

I've bought items from OhioMustangs and have had no issues.

I appreciate you chiming in Don, more vendors would be wise to get to know some of these people on the message boards since they are often times looking for direction and advice. It all equates to customer service.
Yes, I appreciate Don being on this forum and for "setting the record straight" from his perspective as a vendor. I will definitely give Don and his group a shout when it comes time to order my parts just because I have on this forum more of a direct line and ability not just to be heard but in Don someone that will listen. I am also about quality in purchase (at the best price) and from Don's comments he supports that thought.

Anyway, thanks Don for giving us the balance.