73 resto for Tarmac Rally racing in Australia
I was in contact with him the other day (via e-mail). He was going to drop by and update us - still hoping he will.
(05-05-2011, 09:19 PM)rafaelpadro24 Wrote: Hey great looking dash mod, I have wondered if anyone has converted the original instruments cluster to aftermarket unit. How complicated was this mod and any hints on what to do and not to do. Did you use the original wiring harness? I sure like to do this mod on my car but a bit worried on the process, any information is greatly appreciated. SSig_help

We used Autometer gauges, the Nexus range. I modified the gauge support that did require some cutting and mounting of flat plates that these new gauges fitted through. You can see the smaller silver ring is actually the gauge trim, then outside that is a bit of visible backing plate, then the rest is originial mounting.
The Nexus range operate differently than normal gauges. The sender signals go into a control box, and the gauges are driven off that. So the gauges are real slaves. We used regular senders for volts, oil, fuel, water. But the tacho came off our new ICE distributor and speedo off a hall effect speed sender that we got from Autometer.
Autometer are from USA, so most of you guys in this forum will be able to get better knowledge with a phone call. I found thier tech help to be excellent, and I am confident they will be very helpful over the phone. if you want more photos of the adjustments I made to mine, let me know.
Unfortunately the race steering wheel has proven to cover the gauges as I made them here, so I have had to make a completely new gauge cluster. It protrudes the gauges nearer to me instead of recessing them. With the geometry of the dash, it was the only way I could do it without looking completely stupid. It will look pretty good, but more movement away from any original look. The good news is that the car is performing extremely well, and we should have a great race season starting January - and I will be able to see our speed!

Here is my belated report! We went into the last race series pretty confident that we would do well (for us). We have a car with 250kw at the wheel and 600nm torque at the crank. We were happy with that at this stage, and the upgraded brakes should stop us pretty well.
Then things got a bit wierd. We discovered a slightly bent axle that was shaking every nut and bolt out of the car. And with the improved power and tyre grip, the axle collars were moving, allowing the axles to slip in and out, creating a huge vibration.
Of course, these things only came to light under race prep, on track days immediately before the race! So we tightened every nut and bolt each night, and we welded the collars on! No movement left there, but the axles would have to be replced - which we were doing anyway in favor of straight axles with floating hubs on 32 splines.
We were running extremely well with a tentative start in Targa Tasmania. We were sitting comfortably around 25th out of ~100 cars. Which is excellent because our competition is mostly experienced and well funded with paid crews, etc. Not a father, son and mates team like ours.
But then we crashed out near the end of Day 1 because the crew of another crashed car did not caution on-coming cars properly. But thats racing, and who knows, we may have crashed anyway. unlikely, but possible (can you tell I am a bit annoyed?).
If anyone wants to see the crash, PM me your email address and I will 'allow' you to see the YouTube footage. There is a 'surprise' with the crash. There is crash damage footage at www.youtube.com/websimple if anyone wants to look.
So we are going through the process of straightening the chassis, repairing panels, replacing steering, rebuilding bash plates, etc. We are taking the opportunity to improve the gear shift, rebuild the motor reinforce the steering, etc. All of which we are video taping, and will be happy to post. I ma putting together another restoration vide othat will take into account the original resto, races, rebuilds, crash, rebuild, etc! But that is taking some time ...
So thanks everyone for following us. Like I said, there is video footage on www.youtube.com/websimple and the website is www.targamustang.com which I try to keep up to date.
Cheers, Pete
(05-05-2011, 09:19 PM)rafaelpadro24 Wrote: Hey great looking dash mod, I have wondered if anyone has converted the original instruments cluster to aftermarket unit. How complicated was this mod and any hints on what to do and not to do. Did you use the original wiring harness? I sure like to do this mod on my car but a bit worried on the process, any information is greatly appreciated. SSig_help

Here is a pic of the new-new gauge cluster partially finished. I have thrown in a pic of the partially finished spolier too.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey Peter,

Thanks for updating us on the car. Sounds good and looking forward to seeing the progress.

For anyone not familiar with Peter and his car, take a gander at his you tube videos and his targamustang address. You will not be disappointed.

Wondering what 250 Kw and 600 Nm equate to in the U.S.? 250 Kw equals our 340 Horsepower and 600 Nm equals 442 foot pounds of torque.

Thanks.
OK, the latest is the carbon fiber reinforced kevlar hood. I have nearly finished the first stage here - and that is getting 2 layers of carbon fiber onto the old hood. Now to leave it overnight and crack it off tomorrow. Then prep the surface for a top layer of resin, then flip it over for reinforcing and Ram Air plenum and kevlar cloth.
We should save over 50lbs with this, bring the weight to a 52/48% split. Pretty good for a '73.
If anyone wants more detilas on the process I hvae followed here, feel free to ask. I will be putting more info on the website when I have finished the hood (we call it a bonnet here in Australia!).

Attached Files Image(s)

Looking great Peter. Definitely interested in the outcome. How is the rest of the rebuild of Junior going?
(07-21-2011, 03:58 AM)Steven Harris Wrote: Looking great Peter. Definitely interested in the outcome. How is the rest of the rebuild of Junior going?

Thanks Steven, the rest of the rebuild is going well. We dropped Junior off at a blokes workshop that has built Targa winning XY GT Falcons and even the London to Sydney marathon cars - I think they were XT Falcons. As they were Mustang steering and chassis components, he is an expert on our car. He is gusseting control arms, strengthening rails, changing camber bolts, using metalic bushes, supporting idler arm, etc. He is checking bump steer and increasing castor instead of using neg camber for cornering.
While that's happening, the motor is being rebuilt with CHI alloy heads, and new cam, pistons, rods, etc. We even have stronger engine mounts to keep the motor stable with more torque - and apparently that makes a difference in a Targa event with constant extreme changes in power application.
We are building a new custom gear shift mechanism that will change the car alone! And we have calculated that we will have a 52/48% weight ratio when the bonnet (hood) is on. We will see, but thats pretty amazing for a Mustang - especially a '73.
The brakes have already been upgraded to Wilwood 4 spots and they work great. And the carbon spoiler is lighter and more effective, the new bashplate has come up well. We have stripped the heater/AC saving ~20lbs alone. The new console will make the wiring harness easier to install and repair (if required) ... there are 1000 things that have been done, and 1000 more to do.
And most of this is being done free or cheap. At most we have been paying for parts only. Down here with this Targa Tasmania, there has developed an incredible comraderie in the motorsports industry where these blokes come out of the woodwork and help out for the enjoyment of it. The feeling is amazing, and humbling. I have really enjoyed the ride so far, and this is what the car is about. The race is a great focal point, but the mateship and connection with my Dad and sons is the real purpose. And its being fulfilled in spades!
Peter, glad to hear all that is coming together with Junior and the team. Looking forward to seeing him back on the attack.

Someday I hope to be able to watch him go by in person!
WOW
Ur mach looks like ALOT of fun.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1969 Fastback resto mod project rcamire 1 10,358 01-04-2015, 09:43 PM
Last Post: Mach1FatherFigure
  1972 Mach 1 Race Restoration for Tarmac Rally Peter Winn 12 36,294 04-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Steven Harris
  Our tarmac rally racing '73 project Peter Winn 2 11,322 02-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Oztrailer
  RESTO-MOD VIDEO SERIES ScottCash 4 14,112 05-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Mach 1 Club
  update for mach 1 resto-mod customridesnrods 4 14,588 03-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Last Post: Steven Harris
  1969 mach1 resto-mod customridesnrods 4 16,878 02-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Rare Pony