Winter Storage
Now that it is getting closer to the time to put the car up for the winter (at least up here in the northeast) I was curious to learn what other members do to prep and protect their classics cars for storage so by next Spring they're ready to go.

I have read different articles online but I am convinced the group here may have better ideas.

Any do's and don'ts on this topic would be appreciated.
(11-17-2015, 09:05 PM)Mustangmike Wrote: Now that it is getting closer to the time to put the car up for the winter (at least up here in the northeast) I was curious to learn what other members do to prep and protect their classics cars for storage so by next Spring they're ready to go.

I have read different articles online but I am convinced the group here may have better ideas.

Any do's and don'ts on this topic would be appreciated.

I don't do a lot of prep on my 73 convert, as I try to pull it out of the garage about once a month and let it run for a while, but don't drive it on the salty roads. I do use the gas stabilizer, like Sta-Bil. You could get the tires and wheels off the ground to prevent flat spots. I use to use a trickle battery charger, but now just charge in about once a month with regular battery charger. I'm sure others may have more extensive recommendations.

Here is a pic from last winter sitting in the driveway to run for a while.

[Image: 20150218_111124_zpsz4en8ny7.jpg]
Everything Rare Pony said plus, run the heat and ac if equipped, as sitting lets everything deteriorate as well, lightly lube all door hinges, hood, and trunk hinges, and anything that needs to move, cables etc. Check Antifreeze protection level. All Fluids, make sure all are full, and don't need changed, as dirty oil has a lot of contaminants / acids in it that aren't any good for the engine, transmission, or rear end. Brake Fluid if darkish brown in color it should be changed, as it usually indicates moisture, which promotes corrosion, which leads to stuck calipers, etc. I'm sure there are more things that I've forgotten. Also, I would take vasoline and wipe a light coat on all rubber seals, doors hood, trunk, convertible top, etc to keep them soft and pliable as well. Next?????? Hope it helps. JTS 71 Mach1
Well, here in Northern California I don't do anything special for winter storage. I replace the coolant annually, make certain all the other fluids are full and fresh, and be certain to run and thoroughly warm up the engine once every 3 or 4 weeks whether or not it is driven. If we have a lot of rain and cannot drive the car I will place the rear axle on jack stands and also run it through the gears to keep everything lubricated. I don't keep much gas in the tank so if it does go bad it's not a lot to dispose of. With a small amount in the tank I burn through it fast enough even with only warming up the engine periodically so it hasn't gone bad yet.

Here is a question. I have used Sta-Bil to preserve gas. I currently only add "Torco Accelerator" concentrated race fuel to pump gas. I believe this Torco has lead in it, not sure. I have heard that when fuels had lead in them, the fuel lasted much longer. Anybody have input on leaded fuel being more stable for a longer period of time?

Regards,
Mike
(11-18-2015, 10:29 AM)1969_Mach1 Wrote: Well, here in Northern California I don't do anything special for winter storage. I replace the coolant annually, make certain all the other fluids are full and fresh, and be certain to run and thoroughly warm up the engine once every 3 or 4 weeks whether or not it is driven. If we have a lot of rain and cannot drive the car I will place the rear axle on jack stands and also run it through the gears to keep everything lubricated. I don't keep much gas in the tank so if it does go bad it's not a lot to dispose of. With a small amount in the tank I burn through it fast enough even with only warming up the engine periodically so it hasn't gone bad yet.

Here is a question. I have used Sta-Bil to preserve gas. I currently only add "Torco Accelerator" concentrated race fuel to pump gas. I believe this Torco has lead in it, not sure. I have heard that when fuels had lead in them, the fuel lasted much longer. Anybody have input on leaded fuel being more stable for a longer period of time?

Regards,
Mike

Storing the fuel tank full or empty is on of those things that is debated often. I've always heard, especially in the old days, that a fuel tank other than full will collect condensation in the tank, especially in the boating world. Then the fuel with Ethanol came about and some folks argue that fuel with Ethanol will separate over time and leave gook in the tank, but this separation would probably take more than a season to happen.
I honestly never thought about condensation inside the fuel tank. You make a good point. In certain conditions that can be a real problem. I don't have time to drive mine much so I've only thought, how would I dispose of a full tank of bad fuel.

Regards,
Mike
Thanks for the advice everyone. Lot's of good storage suggestions which I have not thought of. I agree that running the fuel tank dry or keeping full can be a debatable topic as I have heard people store their cars both ways. I also have heard concerns about condensation when emptying the fuel tank. Since I plan to start the car every 3-4 weeks, as everyone suggested, I will fill my tank at the end of the season and add a stabilizer.

I am not familiar with the benefits or disadvantages of products which contain lead additive but I did learn that Torco Accelerator can boost the octane level from 93 to 101.

Does anyone have any effective home remedies for keeping unwanted rodents from nesting? I have heard dryer sheets work opposed to using moth balls which leave an unpleasant odor behind. I am curious if anyone has any other ideas.
(11-18-2015, 09:06 PM)Mustangmike Wrote: Thanks for the advice everyone. Lot's of good storage suggestions which I have not thought of. I agree that running the fuel tank dry or keeping full can be a debatable topic as I have heard people store their cars both ways. I also have heard concerns about condensation when emptying the fuel tank. Since I plan to start the car every 3-4 weeks, as everyone suggested, I will fill my tank at the end of the season and add a stabilizer.

I am not familiar with the benefits or disadvantages of products which contain lead additive but I did learn that Torco Accelerator can boost the octane level from 93 to 101.

Does anyone have any effective home remedies for keeping unwanted rodents from nesting? I have heard dryer sheets work opposed to using moth balls which leave an unpleasant odor behind. I am curious if anyone has any other ideas.

Attached Files Image(s)

(11-19-2015, 12:44 AM)Rare Pony Wrote:
(11-18-2015, 09:06 PM)Mustangmike Wrote: Thanks for the advice everyone. Lot's of good storage suggestions which I have not thought of. I agree that running the fuel tank dry or keeping full can be a debatable topic as I have heard people store their cars both ways. I also have heard concerns about condensation when emptying the fuel tank. Since I plan to start the car every 3-4 weeks, as everyone suggested, I will fill my tank at the end of the season and add a stabilizer.

I had the same thought as Rare Pony! The only problem is when the cat sleeps in the vehicle and decides to shit in the seat! I've had this happen on my school buses if a driver forgets and leaves the entry door open a little to far. YUCK! Just a thought JTS 71 Mach1
A good solution to the rodent problem is to start the car and let it run in a closed up garage for about a half an hour. (Works good on just about any breathing creature) Do that about once every two weeks. But yeah, dryer sheets seem to work good. GXR