Mach 1 Club
73 Mustang Noob - Printable Version

+- Mach 1 Club (https://mach1club.com)
+-- Forum: Mach 1 Club Member Area (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: WELCOME ALL NEW MEMBERS INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE ! (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 73 Mustang Noob (/showthread.php?tid=6932)

Pages: 1 2

73 Mustang Noob - da55 - 10-10-2019

Good Evening,

My name is David, 28 years old, as of 10/8/19 I became the owner of my dream car. I have been in LOVE with the Ford Mustang Mach 1 since i was 10 years old, specifically the 71-73 models. I picked it up here in Texas, paid a guy to cover my shift just so i could drive at 0600 to go and see it and buy it. 
It needs work, rusted in a good handful of places, but it runs great, interior is good too. I want to get it 110% mechanically and then worry about the cosmetics. Ive been doing some research on it, its a 1973 Mustang Mach 1, but the VIN says its a Mustang Fastback 1973 out of Dearborn, Michigan. Its a 351 V8 2 barrel.
I have several questions, but the biggest one is this:

Whats the difference between a Mustang Fastback and Mustang Mach 1 on the VIN? Ive tried searching for specifics but no luck. 

Did I buy a Mustang Fastback or Mustang Mach 1?

Thanks in advance, i iook forward to this community.

RE: 73 Mustang Noob - Oztrailer - 10-10-2019

If its a Mach 1 the vin should start 3F05H  Wink

RE: 73 Mustang Noob - da55 - 10-10-2019

(10-10-2019, 07:00 PM)Oztrailer Wrote: If its a Mach 1 the vin should start 3F05H  Wink

Mine says 3F02H. So its not a true Mach 1. Damn. Well, im still happy with it because its almost the same, doesn't look very different. Thanks for the information.

RE: 73 Mustang Noob - Mister 4x4 - 10-11-2019

Welcome!  Where in Texas?  I'm in San Angelo.

I would pull those Mach 1 stickers (mostly since they're on crooked, and the wrong ones for the '73s, anyway) and go with a set of '73 Mach 1 decals (if you're wanting a Mach 1 clone).  Once you get the car back together, and it's looking more like its "ol' '73 self," having the right decal package would make a difference in appearance.

Or... embrace it!  Just because it's not a proper Mach 1, doesn't mean it's junk!

RE: 73 Mustang Noob - da55 - 10-11-2019

(10-11-2019, 04:32 AM)Mister 4x4 Wrote: Welcome!  Where in Texas?  I'm in San Angelo.

I would pull those Mach 1 stickers (mostly since they're on crooked, and the wrong ones for the '73s, anyway) and go with a set of '73 Mach 1 decals (if you're wanting a Mach 1 clone).  Once you get the car back together, and it's looking more like its "ol' '73 self," having the right decal package would make a difference in appearance.

Or... embrace it!  Just because it's not a proper Mach 1, doesn't mean it's junk!

Thanks man, bought it down in Texas City, drove it all the way to Hockley! And yea, im a bit bummed out, but its no biggie. I've been thinking about not doing the Mach 1 color scheme. Im gonna go with something different. I don't know for sure, ill have to take it one step at a time.

RE: 73 Mustang Noob - JTS71 Mach1 - 10-11-2019

Welcome !!!

Looks pretty solid for a 46 year old Mustang. As far as Not being a Mach1. Big Deal ! There were lots of little differences, but mostly appearance was the most noticeable thing. You can end up with a complete clone, or Make it your own, and drive it like you stole it! Glad to have you, tons of information, and good people here. Look around the site and enjoy.

JTS

RE: 73 Mustang Noob - Oztrailer - 10-11-2019

(10-10-2019, 08:02 PM)da55 Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 07:00 PM)Oztrailer Wrote: If its a Mach 1 the vin should start 3F05H  Wink

Mine says 3F02H. So its not a true Mach 1. Damn. Well, im still happy with it because its almost the same, doesn't look very different. Thanks for the information.

Most people wouldn't know anyway so I wouldn't be too worried   Gears

RE: 73 Mustang Noob - Mustangmike - 10-11-2019

Welcome from CT and congrats on your new ride!  Like JTS indicated the car looks to be in decent condition.  I see a lot of potential with the car. Out of curiosity and not that it matters but did the seller offer the car as a Mach 1?  

Mike

RE: 73 Mustang Noob - Mister 4x4 - 10-11-2019

I'm thinking with the precision in which they were slapped on... er... I mean, 'properly installed according to year model factory specs,' that it was probably advertised as such.  Because of course, "All '71-'73 Mustangs are Mach 1s, after all."   Wave

It still amazes me how revered the term 'Mach 1' is - at the end of the day, it's not much more than a trim package with its own VIN body code.

Still a good lookin' car with lots of 'smiles per gallon' potential.

RE: 73 Mustang Noob - da55 - 10-11-2019

(10-11-2019, 07:24 PM)Mustangmike Wrote: Welcome from CT and congrats on your new ride!  Like JTS indicated the car looks to be in decent condition.  I see a lot of potential with the car.  Out of curiosity and not that it matters but did the seller offer the car as a Mach 1?  

Mike

Yea, the guy sold it as a Mach 1. And yes, i saw the potential in it and jumped on it fast. Other cars i had been hunting for, that were rusted and gutted out, not running were running for 2k plus. I picked this up for 3k and running, good interior and some rust.