Mach 1 Club
1972 Mach1 rear fold down seat problems... Need Help Please - Printable Version

+- Mach 1 Club (https://mach1club.com)
+-- Forum: Mustang Mach 1 Garage (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=175)
+--- Forum: Interior (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=180)
+--- Thread: 1972 Mach1 rear fold down seat problems... Need Help Please (/showthread.php?tid=6822)

Pages: 1 2

1972 Mach1 rear fold down seat problems... Need Help Please - John - 11-09-2018

I am new here and in deep stuff. I recently purchased a 1972 Mach1 full rotisserie restored beauty. However the owner had taken it all apart a couple yeas before and when he got it back he tried to install the entire dash and interior including the rear fold down seat. I was in search of a winter project at my ranch as the snows covered the lands. I am a retired mechanic business owners with my private shop and lift on my ranch. I just got done re-working the new 235C motor on the exterior with a dual plane, Holley 600, ceramic headers, valve cover, converted to PCV, Custom cut red plug wires and I just picked up a fresh distributor. If runs great and looks fantastic.
Thing is I need to  now re-fresh all the rear quarter panels which I have everything to do that but before that I truly need help understanding how the rear seat works including pictures of working ones. I suspect parts are missing as nothing is installed on the two lower holes below the small rear side window near the floor. The seat before I removed it landed on the left side quarter panel shelf edge but missed the right side and hung lower there. The previous own was mechanically declined to say the least thus he sublet everything but the general interior. I still have the dash to pull apart.

I am not a rookie here as in my garage I also have a 1970 Boss Grabber Blue which I re-worked for a year and it won every show it was entered in. However it has a fixed rear seat so no help there. My boxes of old parts which came with '72 has the shim plates needed but they were never installed. I thinnk it is bestt to get the seat working correctly before I re-finish the panels so as not to damaged them yet again.

He guys/gals if any of you are willing to help me I would really be in your debt. I cannot find one schematic of series of install photos worth much for two weeks on the net. What I believe I need are multiple pictures of the seat up right from all sides the in stages being lowered. How the seat deck lands when flat and what are the points of correct contact and pictures of all hardware and brackets related to the systems correct functioning. I sense the weight of the heavy flat deck is not intended to rest on just the quarter panel shelf edges either but up to know that is what is happening with this car.

Wow that was a story.... Please consider helping me here as support for this series of Mach1 cars is very nil.

Thanks in advance, John

RE: 1972 Mach1 rear fold down seat problems... Need Help Please - 1969_Mach1 - 11-09-2018

Not much help from me with the 71-73 Mustangs.  When I inherited my 1969 Mach 1 it was completely disassembled down to an empty shell on dollies to move it around.  I am familiar with the 69 and 70 Mustangs.  But, I found that the factory shop manuals and assembly manuals were helpful for the interior, doors, and other assemblies that consisted of a lot of parts.  Here is a link, they might have something that will help you.  https://www.npdlink.com/1965-1973-mustang/accessories/literature-manuals/factory

RE: 1972 Mach1 rear fold down seat problems... Need Help Please - BLACK JADE 69 - 11-09-2018

[attachment=12791]
This is from my Ford parts catalog hopefully it helps
an WELCOME FROM IOWA

RE: 1972 Mach1 rear fold down seat problems... Need Help Please - John - 11-09-2018

(11-09-2018, 06:58 AM)1969_Mach1 Wrote: Not much help from me with the 71-73 Mustangs.  When I inherited my 1969 Mach 1 it was completely disassembled down to an empty shell on dollies to move it around.  I am familiar with the 69 and 70 Mustangs.  But, I found that the factory shop manuals and assembly manuals were helpful for the interior, doors, and other assemblies that consisted of a lot of parts.  Here is a link, they might have something that will help you.  https://www.npdlink.com/1965-1973-mustang/accessories/literature-manuals/factory

Thank you so much. This helps some.
Does anyone own a 1971073 Mach1 fold down rear seat vehicle? If so  would like to ask some specific questions.
1. Is the forward section of the flat deck when horizontal rest and bear all its weight on the plastic shoulder along the quarter panel behind the front seat? My quarter panels are just not close enough together to do that move. It seems like the car should have a much stronger resting area for those heavy panels pull loaded in groceries etc to land on.
2. What are the 4 holes in the plastic quarter panels for? They are just off the floor carpet below the fixed rear side windows. 2 per side. They have a strong metal brace inside the hole with a hole to place a nut/clip on so as to attach something to them.
3. Does that 98 degree end attached to the up right when the set is up just rest on the transmission tunnel when the seat is set to flat?

Thanks again in advance, John

RE: 1972 Mach1 rear fold down seat problems... Need Help Please - JTS71 Mach1 - 11-09-2018

Welcome John, sounds like BlackJade has been able to help as far as the diagram, that shows what all the pieces are. As far as I can remember when the seat folds down, it lays in the 3/4 inch ledge, along each side of the rear interior panel. There is no solid mechanical support. I'm not even sure when folded down whether the front edge touchs the top of the trans tunnel or not. But I don't believe it did. Man that was a long time ago. Wish I could help more. Again welcome lots of good people and info, somebody knows and will be along with some more help I'm sure. 

JTS

RE: 1972 Mach1 rear fold down seat problems... Need Help Please - John - 11-09-2018

(11-09-2018, 12:34 PM)JTS71 Mach1 Wrote: Welcome John, sounds like BlackJade has been able to help as far as the diagram, that shows what all the pieces are. As far as I can remember when the seat folds down, it lays in the 3/4 inch ledge, along each side of the rear interior panel. There is no solid mechanical support. I'm not even sure when folded down whether the front edge touchs the top of the trans tunnel or not. But I don't believe it did. Man that was a long time ago. Wish I could help more. Again welcome lots of good people and info, somebody knows and will be along with some more help I'm sure. 

JTS

I have no doubt it was long go ;-) I could not provide much info on my 442 high school ride either. I sort of need current photos of the correct install in various position to explain what happens. In addition what about the four lower holes which seem to support something. Photos of current correctly assembled rear seat would help a bunch here. Thank you to everyone. If it just the quater panels supporting the deck then I need to shim them out as they re currently to narrow. Glad to be here.

I will attach pics of our Mustangs soon.

RE: 1972 Mach1 rear fold down seat problems... Need Help Please - BLACK JADE 69 - 11-10-2018

https://www.cjponyparts.com/interior-assembly-manual-1971-1972/p/BKAM37/
I bought this same manual only for the 70 model since there was not one for the 69 but found it very useful when
reassembling a car I took apart a long time ago.

RE: 1972 Mach1 rear fold down seat problems... Need Help Please - John - 11-10-2018

(11-10-2018, 12:43 AM)BLACK JADE 69 Wrote: https://www.cjponyparts.com/interior-assembly-manual-1971-1972/p/BKAM37/
I bought this same manual only for the 70 model since there was not one for the 69 but found it very useful when
reassembling a car I took apart a long time ago.

I am calling them today to see is a manual is available for the 71-73 series as the body width and length and so much more changed. The 70 I have is much different than the 72 I also have. I need to pull the side panels to try to shim them out to be close enough to even support the flat deck and see what kind of backing is behind them to support the deck weight. Still looking for information as to why and what the two lower holes  with support capability are for on bother side above the carpet and below the fixed corner windows are for?

RE: 1972 Mach1 rear fold down seat problems... Need Help Please - BLACK JADE 69 - 11-13-2018

If you click on my link it shows the 71-73 interior manual Wink

RE: 1972 Mach1 rear fold down seat problems... Need Help Please - John - 11-13-2018

(11-13-2018, 02:07 AM)BLACK JADE 69 Wrote: If you click on my link it shows the 71-73 interior manual Wink