Mach 1 Club
Barn Find Shelby GT 500 - Printable Version

+- Mach 1 Club (https://mach1club.com)
+-- Forum: Mach 1 Club Member Area (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Assorted "COOL" Mustang Videos & Pictures (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=166)
+--- Thread: Barn Find Shelby GT 500 (/showthread.php?tid=6762)

Barn Find Shelby GT 500 - 1969_Mach1 - 07-20-2018

Here is another barn find video.  This is a Shelby GT 500.  I thought there were some Shelby fans here.  I'm not the biggest Shelby fan.  But watch the video, at times I think some people just shouldn't own classic cars.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/07/18/barn-find-hunter-episode-36?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=18_July_18_HagertyNews

RE: Barn Find Shelby GT 500 - Mustangmike - 07-20-2018

I like how the guy creeps around the yard and spots the car. They can call it x-ray eyes I call it trespassing (LOL)!  Anyway what a disappointment he doesn't have the keys to see the engine.  Take another 20% off!

RE: Barn Find Shelby GT 500 - 1969_Mach1 - 07-20-2018

Something seemed off to me when the owner couldn't find the keys to open the hood.  What is actually under the hood.  I get the impression the owner doesn't appreciate either of those cars.  The 65 parked in the driveway is slowly being swallowed up by the earth.  I fully understand if the funds are not there to repair/restore/maintain a car.  My thought is try to preserve it, at least get it off the dirt, put it up on stands, etc.  I don't understand choosing to let it deteriorate away instead of selling it to somebody that appreciates it.

Yeah, I don't get it.  I guess some people are wired differently than us.  If the guy had to be told what his Shelby was worth he most likely is out of touch with the car world.  If I were him I would sell that Shelby in a heart beat for $70k.   Plus, I have a funny feeling the machine shop guy swapped his 428 motor Shelby motor for a standard 390 boat anchor motor. That's why he doesn't want to open the engine compartment!

RE: Barn Find Shelby GT 500 - 1969_Mach1 - 07-20-2018

I never thought of the 390 motor swap.  It could be.  Or simply no longer the original motor and/or it's just hacked up.  But you're right, he should sell it.  He's just not a car guy.

RE: Barn Find Shelby GT 500 - JTS71 Mach1 - 07-20-2018

As they say, This is where the Plot Thickens! You 2 detectives, have got your brains working overtime! LOL!  Maybe he just really lost the Keys? Maybe he got offended, and told them to take a hike? It seemed as though the conversation did end kind of abruptly?  Also he never did mention if the hardtop was for sale, or not? Even though he said he was going to ask. It's great to find something cool like that. Usually when I do, it seems to become "Solid Gold" the most priceless thing ever. I never seem to find the Good Stuff??? But I sure would like to find something like that Shelby, WOW!

JTS

(07-20-2018, 12:55 PM)JTS71 Mach1 Wrote: As they say, This is where the Plot Thickens! You 2 detectives, have got your brains working overtime! LOL!  Maybe he just really lost the Keys? Maybe he got offended, and told them to take a hike? It seemed as though the conversation did end kind of abruptly?  Also he never did mention if the hardtop was for sale, or not? Even though he said he was going to ask. It's great to find something cool like that. Usually when I do, it seems to become "Solid Gold" the most priceless thing ever. I never seem to find the Good Stuff??? But I sure would like to find something like that Shelby, WOW!

JTS

We are definitely reading between the lines on this one. And, you are right, you don't find "gold" too often. The car looks to be in decent shape with nice lines (except for that hood).  BUT, the guy did say he spent a lot of time hunting down his motor. Whether he knows it or not and if I were a betting man I am guessing the original motor is a 1,000 miles away from car.  428' CJ's are just too easy of a target for someone who knows motors.  It's a terrible thing to have happen but I am sure it happened more often than not especially with the 289 Hipo's and the Boss 302's.

Hopefully this Hagerty guy motivated the guy to do something with the car.

RE: Barn Find Shelby GT 500 - JTS71 Mach1 - 07-20-2018

Yeah back in the day they would have said, There's a little "skull duggery" going on here. I agree.

JTS