Mach 1 Club
Raise front end of 69 Mach 351W - Printable Version

+- Mach 1 Club (https://mach1club.com)
+-- Forum: Mustang Mach 1 Garage (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=175)
+--- Forum: Suspension & Steering - Tire & Wheel (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=181)
+--- Thread: Raise front end of 69 Mach 351W (/showthread.php?tid=6584)

Raise front end of 69 Mach 351W - 784mula - 07-25-2017

Has anyone raised the front end of a 351W 69 Mach 1 with 390 or 428 coil springs?

RE: Raise front end of 69 Mach 351W - Steven Harris - 07-25-2017

Not personally.

And I don't remember reading of any attempt here in these pages but we'll see what others have to say.

RE: Raise front end of 69 Mach 351W - Mustangmike - 07-25-2017

I did something similar with my 1966 Mustang 289. I installed heavy duty coil springs rated for 375 lbs. opposed to the stock coils springs of 235 lbs. Technically, these are big block springs. I remember I had to cut about a coil and a half to get them in. The result was a firmer ride and better handling. Like you, I wanted the car to have the right stance and prefer the Mustang to squat a little in the back.

Other options to get the front end up a little is installing coil spring spacers or change your leaf springs to mid-eye or reverse eye which will lower the back end of the car. I used a mid-eye leaf spring on my car as well. I am not a big fan of using coil spring spacers.

I hope this helps.

RE: Raise front end of 69 Mach 351W - 784mula - 07-26-2017

(07-25-2017, 08:46 PM)Mustangmike Wrote: I did something similar with my 1966 Mustang 289. I installed heavy duty coil springs rated for 375 lbs. opposed to the stock coils springs of 235 lbs. Technically, these are big block springs. I remember I had to cut about a coil and a half to get them in. The result was a firmer ride and better handling. Like you, I wanted the car to have the right stance and prefer the Mustang to squat a little in the back.

Other options to get the front end up a little is installing coil spring spacers or change your leaf springs to mid-eye or reverse eye which will lower the back end of the car. I used a mid-eye leaf spring on my car as well. I am not a big fan of using coil spring spacers.

I hope this helps.

I currently have coil spacers and want to omit them. I need about 3/4 more. Should I pull a spring and measure first?

RE: Raise front end of 69 Mach 351W - Mustangmike - 07-26-2017

It sounds like you either have tired coil springs or possibly lowering springs installed. Do you know if the coil springs in the car now are the original ones or have they been replaced in the past?

Is it possible to post a picture of your car? I am curious how the overall stance is and how the car sits in the back.

RE: Raise front end of 69 Mach 351W - 1969_Mach1 - 10-11-2017

I missed this older thread.  I'm surprised nobody asked what springs were currently in the car, are the control arms in the stock location, what is the suspension condition that might affect the ride height?  Basically, why is the front ride height too low?  At least on my 1969, lowering the upper control arms 1" dropped the car about 1" at the fender opening.  Also, a change in height at the spring location is almost doubled at the fender opening.

RE: Raise front end of 69 Mach 351W - 784mula - 08-20-2018

(10-11-2017, 03:59 AM)1969_Mach1 Wrote: I missed this older thread.  I'm surprised nobody asked what springs were currently in the car, are the control arms in the stock location, what is the suspension condition that might affect the ride height?  Basically, why is the front ride height too low?  At least on my 1969, lowering the upper control arms 1" dropped the car about 1" at the fender opening.  Also, a change in height at the spring location is almost doubled at the fender opening.

I will remove the spring and bring up to NPD just down the street and size it up. Maybe there worn old or cut? But I like 4 fingers above the tire as I saw 2 today that were 428’s with that height.