Mach 1 Club
70 Mach 1 rear fold down install - Printable Version

+- Mach 1 Club (https://mach1club.com)
+-- Forum: Mach 1 Club Member Area (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO YOUR MACH 1 TODAY? (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=234)
+--- Thread: 70 Mach 1 rear fold down install (/showthread.php?tid=6466)

70 Mach 1 rear fold down install - Masterblaster7212 - 02-27-2016

I have been locating, refurbishing and installing a rear fold down seat assembly in my 70 Mach 1 that originally did not have this option.
Wow what a pain in the rear end.

This is nearing completion on my driver car. Now that it's almost done here is what I learned:
1). It's really expensive.
2). The fitment will never be perfect. Getting close as possible is what you strive for.
3). Be ready to realize that even though you spent so much on this conversion, you will likely never use it as much as you would have if it were your only car.
4). The hockey sticks trim is the same for fold down seats and regular non fold down seats.
5). Get an original master interior hardware ( bolt & screw kit). You will never find the proper nuts and bolts at Ace Hardware.

RE: 70 Mach 1 rear fold down install - Masterblaster7212 - 02-27-2016

These rear fold down trim panels are only available after market and they are made of very thin cheaply made plastic.
I lined mine with hand laid fiberglass to thicken them up and strengthen them up.
Very time consuming to say the least.

RE: 70 Mach 1 rear fold down install - Masterblaster7212 - 02-27-2016

This rear deck panel is the hardest to find.
( the one by the red foam)

I ordered the correct interior paint for these panels and used the new aftermarket chrome trim. I couldn't see spending $250.00 to have original chrome replayed.
Plus I'm no concourse resto guy.

RE: 70 Mach 1 rear fold down install - 1969_Mach1 - 02-27-2016

Wow! I converted my 1969 Mach 1 to a fold down seat as well. My experience was apparently different. Yeah, the fitment isn't perfect like most other aspects of these old cars. But that's how they were built at that time. Doesn't bother me. I'm okay with that. And for my mindset trying to make fitment better than new doesn't seem reasonable. But the conversion was a straight forward process. I did have parts from a doner car so the rebuilding/restoring costs were very low. Basically interior trim paint, carpet, obviously seat upholstery, and time cleaning parts and polishing the trim. Assembly into the car might have taken one day.

Regards,
Mike

RE: 70 Mach 1 rear fold down install - Mustangmike - 02-27-2016

(02-27-2016, 04:08 AM)Masterblaster7212 Wrote: These rear fold down trim panels are only available after market and they are made of very thin cheaply made plastic.
I lined mine with hand laid fiberglass to thicken them up and strengthen them up.
Very time consuming to say the least.

Nice idea!

RE: 70 Mach 1 rear fold down install - BLACK JADE 69 - 02-28-2016

Do any of you guys still have one of these for a fixed rear seat?
Stamping number on the back is C9ZB 6330A62 BW
I would buy the pair (left and right) if you don't want to split them up