Mach 1 Club
1971 Mach 1 Restoration Project - Printable Version

+- Mach 1 Club (https://mach1club.com)
+-- Forum: Mach 1 Club Member Area (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: SHOWCASE & RESTORATION - MEMBERS PROJECTS (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=172)
+--- Thread: 1971 Mach 1 Restoration Project (/showthread.php?tid=6058)

Pages: 1 2

1971 Mach 1 Restoration Project - iglo1234 - 01-09-2015

Hey, starting off I'm new here, and new to restoration of older cars.

Currently I work for a truck body manufacturer in Los Angeles and am given the opportunity to work on the vehicles the owner purchases. In his life time he's had GTO's, Chevelle's, Mustangs, and the muscle car list goes on.

I usually work on medium duty or heavy duty trucks on the interiors: seats, carpets, polishing, bondo, paint, etc. but this mach 1 has got to be the most fun I've had working there.

He bought it after his tow truck guy said "Hey, this guy has an old mustang and he doesn't want it"

We showed up and yep he did in fact have an old mustang.

Junk.

Out front was a brand new Scion FRS and a Ford Raptor.
I get to looking around and we don't even know if this thing runs until my boss says "I want it" and hands that guy cash. Hairpull

It arrived and my mechanic checked it out. Puts a new battery in, inflates the tires, give a clean up, and this thing runs pretty well for a car that looks like it's been through some STUFF.

Head liner was all torn, seats were torn, floor was just a mess and COVERED in undercoating with a whole lot of different crap thrown around.

Car turned on and drove pretty well for looking like it did. All the wiring works, the speedometer, the lights, the gas gauge (Cab wreaked of exhaust), and it was loud and rumbly. Turns out the kid put aftermarket headers on it to make it sound like a muscle Fighting0082 car.

So I'm now at the ending stages of this project and I've put a lot of time into this and it's just been so enjoyable. Mustangs really make you feel real good working on them.

Just a short list:

Removed the entire interior
Sanded down the interior frame
Stripped the interior of all undercoating
Ground out all rust.
Welded in all new metal
Painted the interior with the OE color (paint smelled like fruit for some reason)
Put a brand new deluxe interior
Installed power windows and power locks.
Old style new style radio.
Alarm System (los angeles aint' the kindest city in california)
Used Tires (some big chunky ones)
Full NACA hood with FUNCTIONAL hood scoops (cannot stand "For looks" items)
Cleaned up the motor: Oil pump, full gasket set, new valve covers, paint job, water pump, thermostat housing, and small paint job in the engine bay.

I got only a bit of photos but once I get the chance I am getting photos from every angle! Got the Marti Report, and a photo of the old engine included.

Thanks,

Robert New

RE: 1971 Mach 1 Restoration Project - JTS71 Mach1 - 01-09-2015

I can see why your boss handed him the money. Welcome, JTS 71 Mach1

RE: 1971 Mach 1 Restoration Project - Rare Pony - 01-10-2015

Welcome to the site. Looks like a great find. Keep the updates coming.

RE: 1971 Mach 1 Restoration Project - iglo1234 - 01-11-2015

And I'm Back with more photos

So far some more stuff I've done is get a lot more parts.

The front grill, hardware, and the spoiler in the rear, the circuit board for the speedometer, and LED bulb kit for the speedometer

I'm hoping to get it painted soon (the painter for the company also paints the vehicles for us) and I'll post up photos soon.
Thanks!

Eusa_dance

RE: 1971 Mach 1 Restoration Project - Rare Pony - 01-11-2015

Thanks for the update. The new circuit board looks like it is a quality part. The original on my 73 is still working fortunately.

RE: 1971 Mach 1 Restoration Project - iglo1234 - 01-12-2015

(01-11-2015, 02:39 PM)Rare Pony Wrote: Thanks for the update. The new circuit board looks like it is a quality part. The original on my 73 is still working fortunately.

The car had at one point in time been with some moisture that caused some oxidation here and there. Some of those bulb housings were all destroyed. The new circuit board feels really nice and I just need to test it out to see if everything's working.

RE: 1971 Mach 1 Restoration Project - iglo1234 - 09-13-2015

Hopefully I can give some hope to someone who's started on their restoration that the promised land is near! When in doubt just think that you'll soon have a Mach 1 that you can be proud of!

Here's mine in its 98% completion.

RE: 1971 Mach 1 Restoration Project - Steven Harris - 09-13-2015

I don't know how I missed this post originally but I am glad you updated so that I became aware of it.

I don't know that I would have ever classified that car as junk but you have come a long way since.

Judging by the front chrome lip your car is perhaps a fastback rather than a Mach 1 (not that it matters here) The VIN should read 1R02F as a fastback or 1R05F if it is a Mach 1.

Anyway - what a great looking car!

Thanks for sharing the story and the updates.

RE: 1971 Mach 1 Restoration Project - Machy - 12-12-2017

any new updates on this project?

RE: 1971 Mach 1 Restoration Project - iglo1234 - 12-14-2017

(09-13-2015, 02:37 PM)Steven Harris Wrote: I don't know how I missed this post originally but I am glad you updated so that I became aware of it.

I don't know that I would have ever classified that car as junk but you have come a long way since.

Judging by the front chrome lip your car is perhaps a fastback rather than a Mach 1 (not that it matters here)  The VIN should read 1R02F as a fastback or 1R05F if it is a Mach 1.

Anyway - what a great looking car!

Thanks for sharing the story and the updates.

You're right! It's not a mach one so I did but not on purpose build a clone. I liked the styling of the mach 1 instead of just the base fastback so I slapped on the NACA hood and the decals for extra cool factor.

But alas, it is just a measly fastback and a not a true Mach 1

Haha