Mach 1 Club
U Joint problem - Printable Version

+- Mach 1 Club (https://mach1club.com)
+-- Forum: Mustang Mach 1 Forums (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: MACH 1 TALK & TROUBLESHOOTING (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=202)
+--- Thread: U Joint problem (/showthread.php?tid=5888)

Pages: 1 2

U Joint problem - noroz - 09-17-2014

Can any one shed some light here.
I have a 69 Mach 1 with a 351w top loader with a 9" rear.
The car was shipped to me a while ago and the tail shaft in it is the correct length, though I think the tail shaft was swapped out before it was loaded onto the boat.

The u joint was not held in properly so I decided to see what was going on. The u joint appears too short to sit properly into the yoke, when located with the u bolt on one side, there doesnt appear to be enough to grab onto on the other side, maybe a dodgy 6 cyl shaft?

RE: U Joint problem - JTS71 Mach1 - 09-17-2014

Yes there were definitly different width, yokes, U joints, shafts, etc, you need to find some specs listed, I would advise a real parts store that still has and uses books they will show what you should have and then you can figure out what doesn't match. JTS 71 Mach1

RE: U Joint problem - Mustangmike - 09-17-2014

That is mind boggling. Do you think someone actually swapped out your tail shaft housing on your tranny? I believe the correct length of the tail housing is 14" and there should be about an inch of play with the yoke. If you upload a picture showing what you are concerned about maybe I can tell if something was swapped out.

RE: U Joint problem - noroz - 09-18-2014

(09-17-2014, 10:04 AM)Mustangmike Wrote: That is mind boggling. Do you think someone actually swapped out your tail shaft housing on your tranny? I believe the correct length of the tail housing is 14" and there should be about an inch of play with the yoke. If you upload a picture showing what you are concerned about maybe I can tell if something was swapped out.

Not that mind boggling unfotunately, Iknow the car was supposed to have an aluminium tail shaft included on shipping.
I saw a picture of my car being monkeyed around with with a tailshaft being removed and reinstalled by the mustang sales broker before being shipped.
Every attempt to take this up with the company was fobed of and then not long after the company shut down due to the owners deathDuh

Now Im stuck with it, Ill measure up and get some pics back to you guys.

RE: U Joint problem - Mustangmike - 09-18-2014

(09-18-2014, 04:59 AM)noroz Wrote:
(09-17-2014, 10:04 AM)Mustangmike Wrote: That is mind boggling. Do you think someone actually swapped out your tail shaft housing on your tranny? I believe the correct length of the tail housing is 14" and there should be about an inch of play with the yoke. If you upload a picture showing what you are concerned about maybe I can tell if something was swapped out.

Not that mind boggling unfotunately, Iknow the car was supposed to have an aluminium tail shaft included on shipping.
I saw a picture of my car being monkeyed around with with a tailshaft being removed and reinstalled by the mustang sales broker before being shipped.
Every attempt to take this up with the company was fobed of and then not long after the company shut down due to the owners deathDuh

Now Im stuck with it, Ill measure up and get some pics back to you guys.

I am sorry to hear this...you would think people could find better things to do than defraud paying customers. I hope no one takes this personally, but this is the exact reason I painted my car in my garage. I have seen and heard of too much of this type of stuff happening.

RE: U Joint problem - JTS71 Mach1 - 09-18-2014

Somebody should take a crook like that out, and pull all his fingernails off with a pair of vice grips, kinda like the old idea of cutting there fingers off every time they got caught stealing. It would take a long time for them to grow back, and would serve as on heck of a reminder, not to do it again. Loser If that didn't work off go the hands. Angry JTS 71 Mach1

RE: U Joint problem - noroz - 09-19-2014

(09-18-2014, 07:15 AM)JTS71 Mach1 Wrote: Somebody should take a crook like that out, and pull all his fingernails off with a pair of vice grips, kinda like the old idea of cutting there fingers off every time they got caught stealing. It would take a long time for them to grow back, and would serve as on heck of a reminder, not to do it again. Loser If that didn't work off go the hands. Angry JTS 71 Mach1

Yeah I know what you mean,
It makes it hard when you live in another country we make for easy targets, as it is impossible to chase them up legally ,parts are impossible to get where I live, especially large items the freight alone is what kills, just to get things back which you had to begin with!!

RE: U Joint problem - Mustangmike - 09-19-2014

(09-19-2014, 04:02 AM)noroz Wrote:
(09-18-2014, 07:15 AM)JTS71 Mach1 Wrote: Somebody should take a crook like that out, and pull all his fingernails off with a pair of vice grips, kinda like the old idea of cutting there fingers off every time they got caught stealing. It would take a long time for them to grow back, and would serve as on heck of a reminder, not to do it again. Loser If that didn't work off go the hands. Angry JTS 71 Mach1

Yeah I know what you mean,
It makes it hard when you live in another country we make for easy targets, as it is impossible to chase them up legally ,parts are impossible to get where I live, especially large items the freight alone is what kills, just to get things back which you had to begin with!!

I can understand your frustration. Sometimes it's hard enough to locate parts here in the U.S. and shipping here is ridiculous so I can only imagine how difficult and expensive it must be outside the U.S.

You probably already do this but I would make all you purchases by credit card. This will give you some protection by allowing you to dispute your purchases.

RE: U Joint problem - Steven Harris - 09-19-2014

(09-17-2014, 03:57 AM)noroz Wrote: The u joint was not held in properly so I decided to see what was going on. The u joint appears too short to sit properly into the yoke, when located with the u bolt on one side, there doesnt appear to be enough to grab onto on the other side, maybe a dodgy 6 cyl shaft?

I don't believe that Mustang used them but there are u-joints with two different cross measurements. If your transmission yoke and your driveshaft yoke are two different measurements a possible fix might be the above mentioned u-joint.

RE: U Joint problem - 1973Mach1351C - 09-19-2014

I'll add my few cents.SCo_hmmthink In my case I have a c4 in a 73 Mach 1 that should have a C6. I have the receipts from Jackson powertrain that the previous owner had a special balanced drive shaft and tail shaft made to fit my car. It does have a split u-joint (two bigger caps and two small caps but same length) in the front from the new shaft to the tail shaft. This said I was very pleased to see that the shafts and U-joints came from Jackson Powertrain because in Mississippi you can't get any better. Fits very tight and smooth. A split joint is usually used in the agricultural side of things such as high torque application of knuckle joints without clutches. Prevents pinching in crazy angles.

I don't think this was the case in your situation. They made something work to drive the car on and off the boat. I wouldn't trust the setup you got and you don't want a drive shaft busting up your floor and busting your rear end.(No pun intended) If available take the drive shaft and tail shaft out and go to a drivetrain parts dealer and have them micrometer the two yoke and balance the shafts as one or have a proper driveshaft made or refabricated with the right yoke. Maybe the wrong tail shaft or wrong driveshaft. They should be able to fix your problem either way. Best way to make lemons into lemonade in your case.

I'm sorry Noroz for your situation. Hope our advise helps your problems.