Mach 1 Club
70 Rear marker lights - Printable Version

+- Mach 1 Club (https://mach1club.com)
+-- Forum: Mach 1 Club Member Area (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: SHOWCASE & RESTORATION - MEMBERS PROJECTS (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=172)
+--- Thread: 70 Rear marker lights (/showthread.php?tid=4947)

Pages: 1 2

70 Rear marker lights - OlBlooey - 10-21-2012

The quarter panels (along with pretty much everything else one can see in this photo) are reproduction so they lack the holes for the rear markers. I have a pair of marker lights (repro again) to use. There is a foam gasket that will work as a template for the hole size. For hole position, I have close-up photos of show cars. But what tool will cut the cleanest hole? I ask here because my paint/body man has retired so I have no trustworthy shop to farm out.

OlBlooey
[attachment=8565]

RE: 70 Rear marker lights - Steven Harris - 10-21-2012

Cut off wheel with a very steady hand.

RE: 70 Rear marker lights - 68machowner - 10-21-2012

I picked up a small air saw from harbor frt and with thier finest blade cut some holes on my falcon
NICE RIDE!, I would have a hard time cutting that paint.

RE: 70 Rear marker lights - Rare Pony - 10-22-2012

I think it will make it look better with the the side marker lights installed. Let us know how the cutting go's.

RE: 70 Rear marker lights - ohiomustang - 10-22-2012

Cut off wheel would be a clean cut but will burn the paint.

Anything quick and easy will probably screw up the paint.

I would use the finest small blade / hand held hacksaw blade.
Cut it by hand -slow don't heat the paint, don't let the panel flex
Might try just a blade with a duct tape handle

If the harbor frt air saw is variable speed that may work out well.

When drilling the starting holes use cold water, ice, cold rag on the back side to protect the paint.

Good luck - go slow

RE: 70 Rear marker lights - JTS71 Mach1 - 10-23-2012

Also be sure to put masking tape over the paint to keep the saw from tearing the paint. But be very careful when removing the tape, as it can lift the new paint. Always pull the tape back against it's self and at a 45 degree angle, to reduce lifting. Hope it helps JTS 71 Mach1

RE: 70 Rear marker lights - Masterblaster7212 - 10-23-2012

I just did mine two years ago.

Use the masking tape and use a dremel tool with a cut off blade.

Ya better get at least 4 blade discs. Mine came out perfect.
I made it very tight and it just barely fits through the hole.

Its easy to screw it up so make the hole smaller and go outwards in tiny increments..Awesome

(measure at least four times and cut it with precision) nice and slow

It wont burn the paint, and if you cut only 1/4 the way through on each pass it wont tear up that thin dremel disc......remember (slow is smooth, and smooth is fast)...take your time.

RE: 70 Rear marker lights - 1969jimmach - 10-26-2012

I did mine with a varible air saw from cornwell worked great the tape also helped protect the paint and draw out the opening on.As for where to put them I had original panels to lat over the old ones.Good Luck.and Nice looking Car.

RE: 70 Rear marker lights - Masterblaster7212 - 10-26-2012

hey 1969jimmach;

Ill bet that he could use a good photo of yours with a tape measure beside the photo to help him guage as where to make his measurements at.SCo_hmmthink

I cant use mine because I used photos of other cars to make my estimates and if your panels were original, then it makes sense that your car would be best served for his needs of some locations to measure from so he can get going.
Actually this is what he really needs I believe.

RE: 70 Rear marker lights - 1969jimmach - 10-27-2012

(10-26-2012, 03:31 PM)Masterblaster7212 Wrote: hey 1969jimmach;

Ill bet that he could use a good photo of yours with a tape measure beside the photo to help him guage as where to make his measurements at.SCo_hmmthink

I cant use mine because I used photos of other cars to make my estimates and if your panels were original, then it makes sense that your car would be best served for his needs of some locations to measure from so he can get going.
Actually this is what he really needs I believe.

I'll try to get some pics after work tomorrow and post them up.I already tossed the original panels after I cut them though .