Mach 1 Club
Help with major rust problems - Printable Version

+- Mach 1 Club (https://mach1club.com)
+-- Forum: Mustang Mach 1 Garage (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=175)
+--- Forum: Auto Body & Paint (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=178)
+--- Thread: Help with major rust problems (/showthread.php?tid=4758)

Help with major rust problems - stang98kjg - 06-25-2012

I've got rust issues, when I pulled off the piece of plywood that was covering the back deck, the seats and the side panels, I got what you see in picture #1. Major rust damage to the package tray support underneath and rusted interior metal on drivers side. On further inspection I discovered that not only the interior metal was rusted, but the interior and exterior wheelhouse also had rust damage. Picture #2. Finally, I have no idea how to get the metal piece at the bottom of the rear window out, it looks like it is riveted in front, but I really don't have any idea. HELP!!! (I teach English and know the extra exclamation point is redundant, but I really do need help and am willing to accept the social convention.)

RE: Help with major rust problems - don29163 - 06-25-2012

(06-25-2012, 11:05 AM)stang98kjg Wrote: I've got rust issues, when I pulled off the piece of plywood that was covering the back deck, the seats and the side panels, I got what you see in picture #1. Major rust damage to the package tray support underneath and rusted interior metal on drivers side. On further inspection I discovered that not only the interior metal was rusted, but the interior and exterior wheelhouse also had rust damage. Picture #2. Finally, I have no idea how to get the metal piece at the bottom of the rear window out, it looks like it is riveted in front, but I really don't have any idea. HELP!!! (I teach English and know the extra exclamation point is redundant, but I really do need help and am willing to accept the social convention.)

metal piece at the bottom of the rear window just drill the rivets out

RE: Help with major rust problems - Steven Harris - 06-25-2012

Yes, that does look extensive.

What shape is the rest of the car in? The good news is that each panel on any car can be partially or completely cut out and replaced. It just takes work.

How much work and how much patience and possibly how much ($), [I'd add a couple of those but that too would be redundant (another English teacher)], depends on a better synopsis of the car and your desired end product.

If you face it in small steps then I am sure you will succeed.

RE: Help with major rust problems - stang98kjg - 06-25-2012

The only real rust problems are with areas in the picture. The rest of it is just surface rust that can be killed with naval jelly and elbow grease. The issue was the previous owner of the car had leak problems with the rear window and did not follow up on a little maintenance and it was "let go" for who knows how long. Th outside panels, doors, hood, trunk, and front panels, are all intact and don't need much rust work, although some preventative measures will be taken hopefully to prevent this from happeneing again.
I'm fine with the small steps theory, use that one every day of the school year. What I don't know how to do is get the sheet metal to fix the places that need it. Any help with that from anyone would be appreciated.

RE: Help with major rust problems - ohiomustang - 06-25-2012

Get the riveted panel out and see what else [ if anything ] you may need.
I have those pieces cut out of parts cars.

The rear deck panel with speaker holes is 3 + pieces
L, R and the large center
There is a long section by the window too.

Don

RE: Help with major rust problems - Steven Harris - 06-26-2012

Thanks Don!

--------------

Stang98kjg, those pieces are not re-manufactured for some Mach's but as Don posted he has those peices from parts cars in his inventory. Can't get better than Ford factory replacement parts!

Sounds like all systems go. Hook up with Don. He is superb at putting it all together to help out the fellow Mach 1 enthusiast.

Document you work as it will interest the rest of us and help others on their own Mach 1 voyage.

Thanks.

RE: Help with major rust problems - Mach1FatherFigure - 09-27-2014

I had horror problems like that with my '72 Eldorado. All you can do is get a recomended shop and get out your $ - or even $$.
Can be cheaper to take welding lessons BUT then you also have to keep the vehicle 'square' during the process. Not for feint hearted!