Mach 1 Club
What color for my 1970 - Printable Version

+- Mach 1 Club (https://mach1club.com)
+-- Forum: Mach 1 Club Member Area (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: OPINIONS PLEASE (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=227)
+--- Thread: What color for my 1970 (/showthread.php?tid=4418)

Pages: 1 2

What color for my 1970 - cdesje - 02-21-2012

I am to the point in my project where I need to decide on a paint color. I am not restoring a Mach 1 numbered car rather a very good base fastback as a tribute of sorts. I have bounced all over the place on colors to the point I have frustrated myself. My intent is to stay true to the color options of the time. So far I like the blues, greens, and reds. On the other hand I am also looking to use a color that will stand out of the crowd of 100s at a show.

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc is appreciated by my buddies and my wife as they are tired of my changing mind.Crazy

RE: What color for my 1970 - mymachone - 02-21-2012

(02-21-2012, 10:20 AM)cdesje Wrote: I am to point in my project where I need to decide on a paint color. I am not restoring a Mach 1 numbered car rather a very good base fastback as a tribute of sorts. I have bounced all over the place on colors to the point I have frustrated myself. I intent is to stay true to the color options of the time. Thus far I like the blues, greens, and reds. On the other hand I am also looking to use a color that will stand out of the crowd of 100s at a show.

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc is appreciated by my buddies and my wife as they are tired of my changing mind.Crazy

You have limited your choices by wanting to use only the colors of that period but , here's a color I realy loved when i saw it on a mach 1 it's called M&M green . I was about to paint mine that color but changed my mind when I saw what a Metalic Jade Green would look like on a mach . So thats what i painted mine Metalic Jade Green.

RE: What color for my 1970 - 1969jimmach - 02-21-2012

all are good colors.I chose banzai blue aka electric blue.Also daytona blue.Real close to blue of the 69 mach 1 I have the underside of my hood wasnt painted and is really close to original.

[Image: 1327781308790.jpg]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Blue-Metallic-URETHANE-BASECOAT-Car-Auto-Paint-/140695416810?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr&hash=item20c219afea

RE: What color for my 1970 - cdesje - 02-21-2012

(02-21-2012, 10:31 AM)mymachone Wrote: [quote='cdesje' pid='19379' dateline='1329783646']
I am to point in my project where I need to decide on a paint color. I am not restoring a Mach 1 numbered car rather a very good base fastback as a tribute of sorts. I have bounced all over the place on colors to the point I have frustrated myself. I intent is to stay true to the color options of the time. Thus far I like the blues, greens, and reds. On the other hand I am also looking to use a color that will stand out of the crowd of 100s at a show.

[/q

You have limited your choices by wanting to use only the colors of that period but , here's a color I realy loved when i saw it on a mach 1 it's called M&M green . I was about to paint mine that color but changed my mind when I saw what a Metalic Jade Green would look like on a mach . So thats what i painted mine Metalic Jade Green.

If you were to jump outside the period what suggestions would you have?

RE: What color for my 1970 - mymachone - 02-21-2012

(02-21-2012, 11:51 AM)cdesje Wrote:
(02-21-2012, 10:31 AM)mymachone Wrote: [quote='cdesje' pid='19379' dateline='1329783646']
I am to point in my project where I need to decide on a paint color. I am not restoring a Mach 1 numbered car rather a very good base fastback as a tribute of sorts. I have bounced all over the place on colors to the point I have frustrated myself. I intent is to stay true to the color options of the time. Thus far I like the blues, greens, and reds. On the other hand I am also looking to use a color that will stand out of the crowd of 100s at a show.

[/q

If you were to jump outside the period what suggestions would you have?

The two colors I mentioned , Metalic Jade green and the M&M Green. I also like a Metalic Maroons. Thats the whole probelm with todays paints , too many great choices.

RE: What color for my 1970 - Steven Harris - 02-21-2012

(02-21-2012, 10:20 AM)cdesje Wrote: Any thoughts, suggestions, etc is appreciated by my buddies and my wife as they are tired of my changing mind.Crazy

So, why do you own a Mach 1? What are the memories that caused you to be a Mach 1 owner? Do those memories have colors? When you see a Mach 1 like yours, what color just really jumps at you and you find yourself saying, "They always look good in that color".

I love red but I wouldn't paint my 73 red. (A perfect color for a pickup) I love a darker blue (on a Maverick) - but I wouldn't paint my Mach 1 that color either. I am not a big dark green fan but that was the color of my 1970 GT Torino in the day and if I had another that is the color I would want. I love medium yellow for this car!

Redefine your first thoughts and then settle it.

RE: What color for my 1970 - Rare Pony - 02-21-2012

Color is a hard decision. I really like the Wimbledon White on the 69/70 Mach's with the black striping and accents they really stand out and are a timeless color. When repainting my 73 Convertible I was very tempted to paint it Oxford White, to match my 2004 Mach 1. Oxford White is a very bright white, be eventually decided to go with the original Wimbledon White.

The main thing is to paint it the color you are happy with and you think you will like year after year. Everyone is going to have their own favorite colors. The darker colors also tend to show more imperfections in the body work, especially black. Let us know what you decide.

RE: What color for my 1970 - gxr02190 - 02-21-2012

In 1969, Ford offered a color called Copper Flame. It was a special order color (Code "V"). I've seen this color on a '69 fastback and it looks cool. Also, this color would stand out in any lineup. Just my humble opinion.

RE: What color for my 1970 - turtle5353 - 02-22-2012

im a fan of white or grabber blue.

RE: What color for my 1970 - DCDetector - 02-22-2012

My 70 Mach 1 was Calypso Coral originally so I went back with that color and really liked the look. It was blue when I brought it home.

[Image: must01.jpg]

When done

[Image: shot1.jpg]