Mach 1 Club
undercoating - Printable Version

+- Mach 1 Club (https://mach1club.com)
+-- Forum: Mustang Mach 1 Garage (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=175)
+--- Forum: Auto Body & Paint (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=178)
+--- Thread: undercoating (/showthread.php?tid=4416)

undercoating - ts71fb - 02-20-2012

Hey all, getting to the next stage of my restore on my 71!! does anyone have any experience with spraying on undercoating, and not the aerosol can type. There are so many different types out there, but i've been looking at the kit that Eastwood sells with the applicator gun, i would be doing this after blasting off the original for applied undercoating, any tips or advice you can throw my way would be much appreciated!!
-Thanks-

RE: undercoating - 1969jimmach - 02-20-2012

I used por-15 on mine not as messy and looks great also.I did all the underside and inside the car with it including the engine compartment.They say you can spray or brush it on I used a foam brush looks like it was sprayed on after it drys.

http://www.por15.com/

http://www.por15.com/

RE: undercoating - Masterblaster7212 - 02-20-2012

I agree, The POR-15 product line is by far the bomb....(very good).

I spoke to a dealer that does Rhino liners and he told me that to do a car the whole car would have to be on a rotissary and cleaned to do surgery off of.

Very clean and newly painted.

Yesterday I saw a kit that the auto parts store sells that has a small gun to spray it. The gun is sold seperately and needs a clean surface as well. I am leary of risking my garage floors on that tar like substance and having it rain down on my head while spraying it.
A painters white paper coveralls set may help if it had a covered headpiece to cover my head up with .

This same product can be rolled on with a small roller and looks decent.
My car had that done inside the floorboards by the previous owner and it seems to be bullit proof. It resembles the rhino liner but has a sandier (sandpaper like) surface area once it dries.

Id roll it on or brush it on unless you can get the car really high and cover the floors well.Undecided

RE: undercoating - ts71fb - 02-20-2012

I agree, POR-15 is great, i did the entire inside of the car with it. I think the undercoating would work better for noise control and hold up to the elements better?
I think I'll be putting some kind of sound deadening mat on the inside, just not sure if i need the coating outside as well. So blaster, is that the rhino liner on the interior or something POR-15 makes, mine was just a smooth paint...
Sorry, just looked at the icons 69jim had up, looks like awesome stuff!! How much coverage do u get out of a can, maybe one wheelwell, and do you spray the entire undercarriage?
Sorry, just looked at the icons 69jim had up, looks like awesome stuff!! How much coverage do u get out of a can, maybe one wheelwell, and do you spray the entire undercarriage?

RE: undercoating - 1969jimmach - 02-21-2012

(02-20-2012, 03:07 PM)ts71fb Wrote: I agree, POR-15 is great, i did the entire inside of the car with it. I think the undercoating would work better for noise control and hold up to the elements better?
I think I'll be putting some kind of sound deadening mat on the inside, just not sure if i need the coating outside as well. So blaster, is that the rhino liner on the interior or something POR-15 makes, mine was just a smooth paint...

I did whole car with 2 qts.inside and under also engine compartment and have some left but its shelf lif is short if you open it use it or loose it and wear rubber gloves it dont come off you have to wear it off and cover your floor with something newspaper or like.wifes mad I got it on my garage floor and it dont come off even laquer thinner dont affect it.

RE: undercoating - ts71fb - 02-21-2012

Awesome, sounds like this is what i will use! So did you use the metal ready first or do you not need to prep as much as the por-15 paint?

RE: undercoating - 1969jimmach - 02-21-2012

Mine was pretty much no rust all had been cut out and replaced.Just wire brushed it and applied.they have a prep kit also metal wash or something like that.I did use a sound deadner on the inside too under the carpet.If sound is an issue for you.

RE: undercoating - Rare Pony - 02-21-2012

Just thought I would comment on the spray can type. Back in 1974 I took the seats and carpet out of my 73 Mustang Convertible and sprayed the floors with a 3M Brand Rubberized undercoating to preserve the floors. When I removed the carpets again in 2005 to check the floors they were in great condition. So no matter what you use just the fact that you are sealing them should preserve them for years to come.

RE: undercoating - ts71fb - 02-21-2012

Good to know, i think i'll do the metal prep first. If the undercoating is anything like the paint, the metal needs to be etched for best results: i replaced my trunk floorpan and painted it with por-15 without the metal ready, and i got some peeling which isn't suppose to happen...

RE: undercoating - KittieDurell - 03-21-2014

oh..that's nice..