Mach 1 Club
installing full consoles in '71-'73's - Printable Version

+- Mach 1 Club (https://mach1club.com)
+-- Forum: Mustang Mach 1 Garage (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=175)
+--- Forum: Interior (https://mach1club.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=180)
+--- Thread: installing full consoles in '71-'73's (/showthread.php?tid=2795)

Pages: 1 2

installing full consoles in '71-'73's - gxr02190 - 04-10-2011

Many of you who have installed full-length floor consoles in '71-'73's know it can be frustrating to locate the existing holes in the floorpan after installing a new carpet. Even if you locate them with an icepick or an awl, getting the screws in can be a lesson in humility because the carpet and jute fibers spool around the screws, or the drill bit (if you're drilling new holes). A trick that I have used in the past is to bore through the carpet and jute with the drill in the reverse (counter-clockwise rotation), to prevent the spooling. I've also heated a 16d nail with a torch to melt a hole through the materials before attempting to fasten it down with the screws. This could save you some time and prevent invention of any new cuss words.

RE: installing full consoles in '71-'73's - Rare Pony - 04-10-2011

Good tips. I had the same problems re-installing the full length console in my 73 Convertible after installing new carpet. I couldn't believe how hard it was to find the old holes.

RE: installing full consoles in '71-'73's - Steven Harris - 04-13-2011

Thanks to all who add tips that they have picked up or learned. Each tip big or small helps the next one of us who travels in your path. Thanks for sharing.

RE: installing full consoles in '71-'73's - Mach 1 Club - 04-13-2011

This stuff is exactly what Mach1Club.com is all about good job!

Goodpost

RE: installing full consoles in '71-'73's - dpoepperling - 04-13-2011

Absolutely! I have to say that I used to be involved in an off-road club, and the forum was nothing but belittling, arguing, etc. It is great that this site if so positive and helpful.

Thanks to everyone who makes that true!

RE: installing full consoles in '71-'73's - chutsonjr@yahoo.com - 04-14-2011

To drill a hole in the carpet just put a drinking straw around the drill bit to make the hole . Then slip something a little smaller into the holes as you go . When you are done drilling the rest put the console in place . You should have the console in the right place with each marker showing its place . Remove one marker at a time . Replace the screws one at a time . Get each one started then tighten them down . Do not over tighten or you could brake something off . Idea C.L.

RE: installing full consoles in '71-'73's - dlaub1811 - 04-14-2011

So once the carpet is laid, how do you find the holes?

RE: installing full consoles in '71-'73's - Rare Pony - 04-14-2011

(04-14-2011, 05:55 AM)dlaub1811 Wrote: So once the carpet is laid, how do you find the holes?

I used an ice pick to find the holes (looked under the carpet first) then used chalk on top of the carpet to mark where I found the hole with the ice pick. Still difficult to line them up with the console holes.

RE: installing full consoles in '71-'73's - Steven Harris - 04-14-2011

You can also find the holes by poking up through the bottom of the car.

RE: installing full consoles in '71-'73's - mrmach1 - 12-29-2014

Great tips all of you. I've done this a few times and found out just how frustrating it really can be. I especially liked the heated nail idea to help with spooling. Great stuff.